Rear Brakes how Much

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali132

Banned
Reaction score
My sister got a quote to replace the rear breakes, rotors and pads on a 2003 Surburban Z-71 for $467.00 is that a bad price? It was a tire company
thanks

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the rear rotors and pads on my parents' friends suburban about a month ago. Bought napa's "ultra" brand rotors which seem like really good quality and napa brand pads. Couldve gone cheaper but they wanted something decent so it came out to around $140 all together. So figure around that for normal/ non high performance parts ( not slotted, cross drilled rotors) then your right around $300 for labor. Seems a little high considering the work involved but that's the price of letting someone else do it and pretty average for what I hear people are paying shops to do it for them.

Last edited:

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a bit high in price.
But if you can't do it yourself, unfortunately the shops can charge that huge mark up..

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
that aint so bad. at my place we charge 2 hours for a brake job, one axle is $300 @ $105/hr. That includes turing the rotors, Remove clean and lube caliper brackets, shims and slide pins, replace pads, Adjust Ebrake if needed. Figure in about $50-120 for rotors depending on what you go with. Pads $50-80 but thats included in the initial $300

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
never go to a tire place, like "firestone" for work.
they charge way too much.

It is only a couple hours work, if that, to replace the rear brakes.

Check out the write up, it is a VERY manageable job with just some basic hand tools.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Yea what eagle said. If anything go to a dealer or a reputable mom and pops shop

str8wkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dam and I feel like a ass when I tell soeone $40 - $60 in labor to do brakes if they buy the parts

Yukon_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rear brakes

I had Car-X quote me 600.00 for same brake job, they also wanted to replace the e-brake system ( kinda like mini shoes that serve as a drum configuration underneath (inside) the rear rotors. It turned out to be 150.00 thru a local (friend of a friend) mechanic, and then knowing parts counter clerk to get parts at cost... (new rotors, ceramic pads, e-brake kit)

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go tell that Firestone to suck it and never go back there. It's funny how people are more trusting of a place like Firestone than a dealer, but yet there are stories everywhere about placed like that taking advantage and selling stuff that doesn't need to be done and even not even doing some of the stuff they sell. Crappy places like that love to sell rotors on everything, unless you live up north chances are your rotors are fine and just need to be machined before replacing the pads (if you don't you'll get pulsation shortly after). Those places also use the cheapest pads they can find that end up being super NOISY and don't last very long. I always recommend people go back with the GM pads on these (not AC/Delco, there is a difference) because under normal use they will easily last well past 100k miles (unless you live up north where rust eats up everything). Places like that also love to sell the parking brake shoes without even checking them which don't wear out unless someone drives with the parking brake on. A proper brake jobs shouldn't cost more than $200-$230 even at a dealer, that should include machining the rotors, lubricating pins, replacing anti-rattle clips, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts