Rear axle bottoms out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KS03tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have an '03 Tahoe 2wd with Belltech 2" drop spindles on the front and 3' drop springs on the rear. First ran with Belltech Nitro drop shocks, lasted about 2 years and replaced with Belltech Street Performance shocks September '16 and they already seem to have lost their dampening strength. Problem I am having is that the rear axle seems to be bottoming out on anyting more than a slight bump.

Looking for suggestions as to what to do to stop the bottoming. The Belltech shocks don't seem to hold up and was wondering if different shocks are the answer or if there is another issue.

It is my daily driver with 269,000 miles. Any advice would be appreciated.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the belltech bump stops in the rear that are shorter than the oem ones? I have the same issue, running the same springs/shocks, I have the 1" spacer in the rear and the belltech bump stop cut down and it still hits. The only way to make it smooth is to raise the rear up a little with like a 2" spacer or do the "free-travel-mod".

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need the free travel mod where you remove the bracket that holds the rear bumpstops and then just add small bumpstops directly on the frame itself. Very common if you lower the rear more than 2".

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for Free Travel Mod. Don't be afraid to cut it or have it cut off. As far as the shocks losing their strength, this is normal to an extent. I've never known a shock to not break in and soften up a little during their first few months of use. Naturally, the break-in timeframe will vary based on amount driven and how much the shock is exercised. Do the Free Travel Mod then reassess your shocks.

OP
OP
KS03tahoe

KS03tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have the belltech bump stops in the rear that are shorter than the oem ones? I have the same issue, running the same springs/shocks, I have the 1" spacer in the rear and the belltech bump stop cut down and it still hits. The only way to make it smooth is to raise the rear up a little with like a 2" spacer or do the "free-travel-mod".

Do not have the Belltech bump stops, used the original stops.

OP
OP
KS03tahoe

KS03tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks for the info, will probably do the free travel mod since I like the way it sits.

OP
OP
KS03tahoe

KS03tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
+1 for Free Travel Mod. Don't be afraid to cut it or have it cut off. As far as the shocks losing their strength, this is normal to an extent. I've never known a shock to not break in and soften up a little during their first few months of use. Naturally, the break-in timeframe will vary based on amount driven and how much the shock is exercised. Do the Free Travel Mod then reassess your shocks.

Am going to give that a try. Thanks.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
free travel mod. and then the endlinks/bumpstops from me and your set. Will fix swaybar angle and then the axle will have a bumpstop since your cutting your bracket off so it wont slap against the frame

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts