Rear 4x10 speakers in GMT-400 Suburbans, Tahoes, Yukons & Escalades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Voodoo Mike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

There has been some talk about the rear overhead 4x10 speakers in these rigs. Some people had suggested grinding away metal in attempts to install 6x9's which not only sound better, but that size gives many more options when shopping. Well, I had my headliner removed this morning for re-upholstering, and with the headliner out of the way, it revealed that the frames that the speakers mount to are just bolted in! Now, I don't know if the bolts are accessible with the headliner in and the covers removed, or not. But, if someone was hell-bent on swapping out the 4x10's with 6x9's . . . I believe there is a way! Just remove the frames and enlarge the opening. I believe that it would be cleaner than just taking a grinder to them.

As you can see in the pic, my 4x10's are SHOT! They were like that when I got the rig. I already got a replacement set, so I am just going to put those in and since my deck has an HPF, I shouldn't have that problem again.

Anyhow, I thought I'd pass the info along . . . 4x10.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt