Really Bad Shake In Front End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05whitenali

Reaction score
Alright guys, well my truck has developed a really bad shake in the front end at random speeds. The truck shakes so bad it is hard to control and it feels like a wheel is falling off or something(but I already checked that obviously haha). It does it randomly at different speeds and usually does it until I start to pull over then it will go away and feel fine. I have also noticed I have a lot of play in the steering wheel lately. To tell you a little bit about the truck...it is an 05 Yukon Denali with 140000 miles. The front end is lowered with keys. I'm going to get out there in the morning and jack it up and see if I can find anything but I was wondering if you guys can give me any heads up on things I might look for that could be causing this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP

05whitenali

Reaction score
Does it sound more like it would be the wheel bearing over being maybe the idler or pitman arms? What is the best way to check if my bearings are the problem? Sorry if these questions sound dumb...I'm able to install drop kits and all that on my own truck but I'm not a mechanic so I'm hoping with your guys help I can get this figured out on my own. Thanks for the reply dropmech.

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
While it's up on jack stands, grab the top and bottom of the wheel and try to movie it back and fourth. There shouldn't be any play in the wheel. If that's not what's wrong, then it's possible it's worn steering components. Very common wear items in most any vehicle. It wouldnt' hurt to take it to a shop to be sure though.

OP
OP

05whitenali

Reaction score
well I got it up on jack stands this morning and it definitely looks like the pitman arm is the problem. here is a link to how worn out it looks. I don't think this is a good thing haha. http://youtu.be/uof7PtrM2mE. I already found moog pitman and idler arms at my local advance auto parts. Is there anything tricky to replacing them? or just unbolting the old ones and bolting up the new ones?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tatheho