Real MPG on Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ability to average around 20 mpg in a full-size SUV is certainly impressive. But I'm not unhappy with my 15 mpg overall average in my ol' 2008. I knew the fuel economy was not great going in, so I don't cry about it, and I enjoy the room, comfort, versatility and easy operation.

Would I like to be getting 20+ mpg? Hell yes. But I'm not ready to drop $50K+ on a vehicle----and probably won't be until 2nd daughter is out of college years from now. lol

Ekim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I actually bought the 17 with the 8 speed because I knew it had the bugs worked out. I did not want the first year of the 10-speed. The 8-speed I hardly ever feel it shift and the AFM is seamless.
I feel the same. It is smooth and consistent.

tgrin24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife averages about 13 on a 2016 Xl Denali, probably +80% city driving and have about 28k on it we do also have 24” wheels but the fuel economy seems about the same as the 2011 Denali she had before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeep740

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think we have averaged 17mpg for the life of the vehicle so far (10k miles). On road trips we will get about 22-23 mpg.

We have concluded we have to run premium (92) for it to run proper. We were getting pre detonation running reg (87). Have not had any issues since only using the 92.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
M
Hi,

Considering Denali and I wonder if you could share your real MPG on your Denali? City:Highway = 60%: 40% able to get around 18mpg?

Thanks!
My average MPG, per the SUV's computer, is 18.5 for lifetime mileage. I consider that an excellent result considering the size and weight of the vehicle. On long trips on flat ground, I easily obtain 23+ MPG. I am a conservative driver. I deliberately drive in ways to maximize fuel economy. My 2016 Yukon Denali does have the 6.2 liter engine. It also has the ability to shift between 4 cylinders and 8 cylinders. When I read the real-time MPG figures for 4-cylinder and 8-cylinder, I see no difference in MPGs. I conclude that the ability to switch from 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders offers no true improvement. My 2016 Yukon Denali has the problem-prone 8-speed transmission. Supposedly it gets slightly better MPGs than the 6-speed transmission that it replaced. I regret having replaced my 6-speed transmission 2015 Escalade with the 8-speed 2016 GMC Yukon Denali. The 8-speed offers very rough shifting. I miss my Escalade's 6-speed.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
Hi,

Considering Denali and I wonder if you could share your real MPG on your Denali? City:Highway = 60%: 40% able to get around 18mpg?

Another note: I find that driving style has a big impact on fuel economy regardless of engine size. (1) Maintain constant speeds as much as possible; (2) accelerate gently/slowly. I regularly use cruise control - even at low speeds - in order to maintain a constant speed AND to avoid receiving tickets from the police for driving faster than the speed limit . In my opinion (not educated opinion), driving at a constant speed promotes higher MPGs. My "lifetime" MPG according to the 2016 Yukon Denalis' computer is 18.5 MPG. I am not an aggressive driver. I drive at the speed limit. I accelerate gradually rather than aggressively. I want to prolong the life of my SUV's engine. The only time that I use "full throttle" is in an emergency situation to avoid an accident. I try never to "floor" the pedal and engine. I do "floor" it when there is an emergency situation and I am unable to know how much throttle to apply. Outside of emergency situations, I try to accelerate gradually and thus (I think) preserve the life of the engine. I also deliberately change engine oil ahead of the recommended schedule. I follow, if not exceed, the recommendations of the manufacturer for maintenance. I live in Illinois. I drive in places where the temperature is many degrees below freezing during the winter. Sometimes I take long trips and drive late at night. I thus want/need a reliable vehicle. I also have a philosophy of buying only American vehicles, despite some of their parts coming from non-US countries. I also invest in maintenance that is better than what is recommended by the manufacturer. I enjoy my 2016 Yukon Denali. I do wish that it had a smoother ride. And I wish also that it had the more sophisticated AWD technology of the GMC Acadia Denali and/or the multiple vehicles from Audi. But I am staying with my old-school body-on-frame 2016 Yukon Denali. I thoroughly enjoy the high levels of torque and the smoothness of the 6.2 liter V8 engine. For all engine fluids and maintenance other than oil, my plan is to provide maintenance that is better than what is recommended by the manufacturer. The owner's manual recommends applying 3/4 throttle in situations that require extra throttle. However, in an emergency, I am not able to constrain the pressure of my foot to 3/4 throttle. I thus apply in emergency situations the full throttle. That is not good for lifetime survival of the engine. But I am not able train myself in emergency situations to constrain myself to using 3/4 throttle.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get about 10-12 on my 2012 but I have a slightly heavy foot, disabled AFM cant stand it. I bought this thing for the power, not for it to think about it first.