Rattling when on idle!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ramin007, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Ramin007

Ramin007 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Ramin
    Hello friends,

I am quite new in this forum. The reason I joined is my recently purchased 2013 GMC Yukon. The car is awesome and I am very happy. However, there are few minor issues I would like to discuss.

The drive of this Yukon is very smooth with nice acceleration and power behind the wheels. The car when running runs smooth and quiet. However, when on idle (e.g., when I stop behind the red light or in the parking mood), the car starts to rattle. The rpm looks low to me, going down to 500 rpm!

This morning I showed the Yukon to the GM dealer mechanics and they said that the truck is smooth and it is normal. Doesn't look like normal to me. I asked them if they could tune the engine to stay on higher rpm when on idle, they said this is not possible as all these are controlled by the computer... So, they did nothing about this. This is not a deal breaker for me, but I really want to solve this issue. Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

2. tsuintx

tsuintx Full Access Member

Name:
    Tomi
    Diagnosing rattles and other sounds over the internet is always a bit crapshoot. What for somebody is a rattle might be something else to another.

What rattles? The whole truck? Just some bits and pieces here and there?

Not really sure how accurate the tach is, but 500rpm is definitely too low. How many miles does it have?

3. Danny3737

Danny3737 Full Access Member

Name:
    Danny
    It's possible you may have a small vacuum leak. Check the hoses near the air cleaner

Ramin007 likes this.
  4. Ramin007

Ramin007 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Ramin
    There is a shaking once the car is in the idle mode. It is not too much. But the steering wheel shakes. And the person sitting next to me notices the shaking.

Yes the 500 rpm sounds too low and I am almost sure this is the cause of the rattling. Any lower, the engine will start to stutter. The mileage is 130000 km. How do I get GM to increase the rpm?

5. sk1dm4rk

sk1dm4rk Full Access Member

Name:
    Mark
    What engine do you have? My Escalade has the 6.2 and idles around 560-570 and my research says that is normal.

Ramin007 likes this.
  6. delightskinned1

delightskinned1 Member

Name:
    jon
    I dont have a rattle but when I had my blackbear tune done they up'd my idle to 600 rpm because it fluttered a little at idle, and its much better now.

Ramin007 likes this.
  7. Ramin007

Ramin007 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Ramin
    The Yukon SLE. 5.3 Engine, as far as I know.

8. Ramin007

Ramin007 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Ramin
    I wish hey would do the same with mine. But they didn't. Maybe I need to consult with another GM dealer mechanic.