Rattling when on idle!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramin007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am quite new in this forum. The reason I joined is my recently purchased 2013 GMC Yukon. The car is awesome and I am very happy. However, there are few minor issues I would like to discuss.

The drive of this Yukon is very smooth with nice acceleration and power behind the wheels. The car when running runs smooth and quiet. However, when on idle (e.g., when I stop behind the red light or in the parking mood), the car starts to rattle. The rpm looks low to me, going down to 500 rpm!

This morning I showed the Yukon to the GM dealer mechanics and they said that the truck is smooth and it is normal. Doesn't look like normal to me. I asked them if they could tune the engine to stay on higher rpm when on idle, they said this is not possible as all these are controlled by the computer... So, they did nothing about this. This is not a deal breaker for me, but I really want to solve this issue. Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diagnosing rattles and other sounds over the internet is always a bit crapshoot. What for somebody is a rattle might be something else to another.

What rattles? The whole truck? Just some bits and pieces here and there?

Not really sure how accurate the tach is, but 500rpm is definitely too low. How many miles does it have?

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's possible you may have a small vacuum leak. Check the hoses near the air cleaner

OP
OP
R

Ramin007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Diagnosing rattles and other sounds over the internet is always a bit crapshoot. What for somebody is a rattle might be something else to another.

What rattles? The whole truck? Just some bits and pieces here and there?

Not really sure how accurate the tach is, but 500rpm is definitely too low. How many miles does it have?
There is a shaking once the car is in the idle mode. It is not too much. But the steering wheel shakes. And the person sitting next to me notices the shaking.

Yes the 500 rpm sounds too low and I am almost sure this is the cause of the rattling. Any lower, the engine will start to stutter. The mileage is 130000 km. How do I get GM to increase the rpm?

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What engine do you have? My Escalade has the 6.2 and idles around 560-570 and my research says that is normal.

Reaction score
I dont have a rattle but when I had my blackbear tune done they up'd my idle to 600 rpm because it fluttered a little at idle, and its much better now.

OP
OP
R

Ramin007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I dont have a rattle but when I had my blackbear tune done they up'd my idle to 600 rpm because it fluttered a little at idle, and its much better now.
I wish hey would do the same with mine. But they didn't. Maybe I need to consult with another GM dealer mechanic.

Greeco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Tahoe with the 5.3L engine. I bought the truck new and it's had a rough idle since day one. I've taken it into the dealership multiple times and I'm always told that the "rough" idle is a characteristic of this particular engine. I finally gave up fighting it and decided to live with it. I have a friend who drives a Silverado and his does the same thing. It's annoying but doesn't seem to effect the performance of the vehicle. It drove me crazy the first few years of ownership but I've gotten used to it.

My truck idles at 500 RPM in drive and 600 rpm in park. 500 rpm idle is normal for these engines according to the owners manual. I always felt that it was too low but it is normal. I would love to have someone tune the RPM up but I've heard that would void my extended warranty so I haven't messed with it. The dealership will not adjust the RPM.....I've asked.

OP
OP
R

Ramin007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Tahoe with the 5.3L engine. I bought the truck new and it's had a rough idle since day one. I've taken it into the dealership multiple times and I'm always told that the "rough" idle is a characteristic of this particular engine. I finally gave up fighting it and decided to live with it. I have a friend who drives a Silverado and his does the same thing. It's annoying but doesn't seem to effect the performance of the vehicle. It drove me crazy the first few years of ownership but I've gotten used to it.

My truck idles at 500 RPM in drive and 600 rpm in park. 500 rpm idle is normal for these engines according to the owners manual. I always felt that it was too low but it is normal. I would love to have someone tune the RPM up but I've heard that would void my extended warranty so I haven't messed with it. The dealership will not adjust the RPM.....I've asked.
OH... Mine has three years warranty. Maybe I wait until then and then go for certain mods... Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts