Rattle noise, low rpms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scagle1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

Have an 07 Denali that has a rattling sound I cannot for the life of me diagnose.

Bought it a year and a half ago with 61k miles and no problems.

Took it on a trip to Colorado where we did run it over Stoney pass , it made it , the suspension suffered. My buddy who said to take the shortcut caught an earful.

On the ride back to Tx we stopped in Amarillo and gassed up with premium and an hour down the road the car dies and would not restart. 2 hours later it starts , mechanic said something about oil pressure dieing off during rpm increase, over 30 psi and the sensor he was monitoring would go to Zero. Mechanic asked if we had Dexos approved oil to which I did not know as we were on the used car dealer oil change from when purchased.
Changed the oil and the sensor then read fine.

We left and the car was still lacking power and would barely run in 6th gear not able to pull itself and stayed in 5th most of the time for the next few hundred miles. I ran the tank down to a 1/4 And stopped and topped off with premium as well as adding an additive / treatmemt called fuel power that disperses water thinking maybe I got bad fuel earlier. Within 20 miles the car starting running better and pulling in 6th gear.
Ever since then , a year and a half now , we have this rattle associated with low rpm , I've looked at heat shields , exhaust manifolds , and I am stumped. It sounds awful inside the car when it does it but there is no rhyme or reason as to when. One minute it will , then it won't, never at higher rpm or speeds. No codes , but does feel a little down on power when running like this. Only at slow speed low RPM does it do it.

I attached a video you can hear it a few different times if you listen close. Most prominent right before and during the seat belt chime of course.

ANY IDEAS ? Thanks for the feedback.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Its almost impossible to diagnose something through a video but I would check the catalytic converter.... Sometimes when going bad the catalyst will break into pieces and rattle around in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts