Rattle from belt drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed this Thursday morning and I've tracked it to the A/C belt drive. Sounds like rattling chain, like when someones dragging a trailer chain down the road.

Goes away or at least gets more faint when the A/C is off and is quite noticeable when the A/C is on. Goes away after as little as a half mile of driving. Just checking to see if anyone has heard a similar noise and whether you think it's the tensioner or the A/C clutch. A/C still works fine by the way.

I've got a video I'll post later too.

nharkey85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch. Had one that would wind up like a turbo, then when I'd go to shift it would drag for a minute and quit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an odd one to add. An hour ago when I started my Tahoe up to go get my mail I got a very loud noticeable chirping that didn't go away. I wasn't going far so I didn't just stop and check it out. Now I popped the hood and narrowed it down to the idler pulley next to the alternator or the alternator itself. More likely the idler. So I grabbed a socket to see what it would take to change it out in the parking lot of the auto parts store. When I pulled on the wrench it wasn't tight. It took 3 turns to get it tight. Started up and the noise is gone. Yay.

Check to be sure yours is tightened down. The extra load of the AC might be causing problems with it.