Random pull to LEFT OR RIGHT when braking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new i-shaft and had the gearbox out to put new pitman arm on. I tightened it up to spec .

When turning left at a stop I am now hearing one or two "thump..thump" coming from left side. Sounds seems to be at midsection of body near torsion bar cross member area.

I also hear a tiny squeaking noise as slow speed going over small bumps.

Last edited:

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What all work has been don’t to the front end, suspension wise? Upper/lower Control arms? You say you torqued the gear box? You mean to the frame or the hex key “adjustment” bolt.

Edit: if you’ve mentioned any of this previously I apologize.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stuff I have replaced within past 2 years:

Inner/outer tie rods (mostly OE or ACDelco pro). Hubs (both sides). PS pump, belt, links and bushings. The upper control arms are good. New Moog lower control arms. Torsion bars are good.

As for the gearbox. I adjusted by jacking front end off ground and incrementally tightening hex until slack was taken up but not so much that it would bind all the way to the left or right. I then torqued nut while holding hex. I have no steering slack. everything is tight. I don't think steering is the issue here. I can jack up one side of the front and try moving the wheel in all directions but it is rock solid. This seems like more of a suspension issue. Starting to lean toward torsion bar section

Last edited:

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typical low speed squeak is caused by ball joints. Ford pick ups are NOTORIOUS for this. You say the upper control arms are good but those are what are adjusted for caster&camber on our vehicles. The caster won’t cause tire wear BUT will most definitely effect left/right pull especially if those bushings are bad which could also be a culprit to lower speed squeaks. Just food for thought.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check them again. I have one upper control arm that was ordered 6 months ago. Thought I needed it at the time. It may be time to change them out regardless.