Random pull to LEFT OR RIGHT when braking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this and how to fix it? Ive started experiencing a strong pull to the left at times when i come to a stop. Happens maybe 10% of the time. I checked the calipers and bled brakes. No visible issues. There have been times in the past where I have noticed constant brake pull due to air or brake pad issue etc. Just never really experienced a random brake pull.

Last edited:

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Matahoe

I had a similar pull to the passenger side in the front a while back. Rotors and pads had been changed recently. Mine was a bit more severe in that it was locking the driver rotor. It happened then stopped, happened again so I took it in.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/fosscores-2006-tahoe-build-thread.65729/page-45

Go to my build thread and scroll down to post #449. I did a more detailed write up. That may not be your issue, but maybe help point you in another direction to inspect.

IMG_9871.JPG

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to get a $14 caliper piston seal kit. I used to rebuild calipers and exchange pads back in the day so its no biggie for me. It's much cheaper than spending another $60-$90 for a whole caliper.

If there is something wrong with the caliper it's going to be the piston seals because there isn't much else that could go wrong. The slides have always been greased well so it's not that. Also rechecked pads.

7112bO4AKjL__SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What in the world! Now my Tahoe is randomly pulling to the left OR right while braking. Not just to one side. It seems to happen more when braking and turning simultaneously. I have no idea what's going on. Seriously, this can't be a caliper issue? What about alignment? Would caster or camber be a factor? This is making me a tad nervous and I am hesitant to drive my kids around. Maybe I have the wrong calipers installed? Ahh poo.

Last edited:

mooman

Reaction score
When you installed the new calipers last year, did you grease the slide pins? New hardware? I have been greasing my caliper slide pins every other year or so. The grease dries up. Also, when it is pulling when braking, the caliper is stuck in the open position forcing the brake fluid to the operating side. I would pick up a can of brake grease and grease them up. If that doesn't fix it, I am lost. When was the last time you had an alignment?

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be wheel bearings
No bearing noise or wheel looseness. I have literally no play in the front steering linkage. It's all been rebuilt.

But now i have another issue. My brakes are feeling like complete crap. The pads feel like they aren't grabbing enough. Either that or I have lost power in the hydroboost somewhere. The pump is good. Guess I have to figure out this mess first. Maybe what I should do is install some semi-metallic pads and see if there is any change. I did install Akebono pads but the rotors are ACdelco advantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos