Radiator type?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I stopped by Autozone to pick up a new radiator since mine has a hairline crack between the upper opening and the (i'm guessing trans cooler) fitting just below it.

They have two types of radiators there, one is just a normal radiator and he said the other was if my yukon had heavy duty cooling. I honestly have no idea and noone there could help me. Any ideas?

Here's a pic:
nIyOS.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

I always feel like an idiot when I answer my own threads, but here it is for others.

The regular is a single core radiator with a thin top profile such as this:
fSsgm.jpg

The heavy duty is a dual core radiator with a larger top profile like this:
7lZae.jpg

It can be viewed by taking off the plastic cover over the radiator if you are having trouble discerning the difference.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a few leaks in my daily driver *************, I used bar copper leak stop for radiators...it closed the fractures BUT it gummed up my thermo AND the water pump. What I did was add almost the whole bottle....big mistake.

SO my suggestion would be:
-head back to Autozone
-buy some of that stuff
-buy an ultraviolet additive + blacklight kit (10bux)
-take out your thermostat temporarily
-add about 1/4 of a bottle of that stuff and see if it stops the leak.

Make sure you clean the area with some brake cleaner so it's obvious when it leaks. IF it still leaks, add a little more of the bars copper stuff.

Or just buy the HD radiator, some new hoses/clamps and be done. The bigger the better with radiators and these v8s.

B

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
Had that same probllem in mine a couple months ago in the same place. I believe I bought the HD one at Napa for like $200. I tried that copper leak crap to and it worked for like 2 days.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried that copper leak crap to and it worked for like 2 days.

Ya same here, I was lazy so that's why I added almost the whole bottle...wasnt in the mood to replace the radiator right now. Wish I wouldnt have done it LOL

B

Is it 2012 yet?
Reaction score
Compare both radiators if the fitings are the same as they should be go the bigger one. If you want to find out take off the fan shroud upper and look measure it to the other units to be sure.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HATE the bonded on plastic end tanks. There is a guy in town here that does custom welded full aluminum radiators, I'll go see him when the time is right.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here locally you can get the plastic ends replaced for $50 per side. I replaced one side and then when the other side cracked I check with my cousin who works for Keystone Auto for the price on a new radiator. The new one cost me around $140. I installed it myself.

grnrpr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
h0tr0d the difference is the heavy duty is for 4wd towing light duty for 2wd no towing i just replaced mine in the hoe last week got it at oriellys for $138 plus tax took about 30 min to replace you can go with the stop leak fix but it will be a waste of time in the long run just replace it and get it over with good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne