Radiator Fitting keeps backing out, leaking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the radiator, under the upper coolant hose, there are two fittings. One all the way at the bottom and one just under the upper hose.

I believe it's the transmission lines. The fitting screws into a larger fitting that is like a hexagon made from bent sheet metal.

The upper sheetmetal fitting keeps backing out a little and causing a leak. I tighten it and it does it again a couple weeks later.

I'm thinking about wire tying it to the shroud. I'm not sure how else to keep it tight.
Radiator fitting Suburban.JPG

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those fittings are for the engine oil cooler, if its leaking around the threads then put some Teflon tape around the threads and tighten it up. I have never had that "sheetmetal hex nut" loosen up. Without looking at it, it's kind of hard to tell you a good way to fix it. If you can add maybe a small amount of Locktite or maybe even a dab of JB Weld to keep it from backing off, that may work. Normally those hex nuts are never an issue since there is no reason to loosen or tighten them.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil cooler, ok. I've got 3 trucks I work, couldn't remember where the lines ran.

We had the truck 4 or 5 years before it was ever an issue, now it's come loose 4 times. My wife emailed me this morning to say it's dripping again. That's why I decided to check out on here so I can have a plan when I get home.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh, use a line wrench on the fitting and a large crescent wrench to hold the larger one from moving. That will assure a tight fitting. As mtl111 mentioned use some teflon tape, @ least two rounds. Good luck.
David g.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the larger one that gets loose, not the cooler fitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny