Quick fix didn't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdhawk

Reaction score
Transmission cooler line was leaking. I tried cutting off the old compression lines and flaring the line to replace it with new fuel line hose. Obviously there is a lot more pressure there then I thought. I guess new OEM lines are going on.

IMG_8330.JPG

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same mod. I didn't flare, but I did use 2 hose clamps on each side and it has not leaked a drop since.

IMG_1638s.jpg IMG_1640s.jpg

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did that on my old dodge pickup, fuel and tranny lines would rust out constantly from sitting on the grass... ..2 hose clamps i put them closer though.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes- two clamps seems to be the ticket here. It's great that you went the extra step with flaring the lines. But using two clamps as well as their placement is key. Such a repair should be plenty sufficient for the line pressures involved.

OP
OP
mdhawk

mdhawk

Reaction score
I think the flaring is definitely where I went wrong. I used double hose clamps but think I must have cut through the line from the inside by having them too close to the flare. It's crazy, 40 bucks for the cooler lines and 440 bucks to install...

justinesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 3 hose clamps on each side 2 years ago and never had a problem

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the flaring is definitely where I went wrong. I used double hose clamps but think I must have cut through the line from the inside by having them too close to the flare. It's crazy, 40 bucks for the cooler lines and 440 bucks to install...

Should have double flared it so it smooths the edges out..... but ive done it without flaring and 2 clamps.....oh well, we live and learn right?

OP
OP
mdhawk

mdhawk

Reaction score
Should have double flared it so it smooths the edges out..... but ive done it without flaring and 2 clamps.....oh well, we live and learn right?
I only had a single flaring tool. I didn't realize the pressure was that high. Definitely lived and learned an expensive lesson. The shop had to drop my exhaust to get the new lines in. I guess that's why it cost so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63