Question Help Identifying Engine 'tick'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 Escalade - 140K

The video below makes the noise much more pronounced almost like a diesel. In person it's not that loud/aggressive, and can't be heard inside the vehicle with the windows and stuff closed. This happens at idle, no matter engine temp - cold start, at temp, etc... I couldn't tell if it was RPM related - revved engine from inside car with my head out the window and couldn't tell if it increased. My phone was in the front driver side wheel well, where I could hear it the loudest, didn't check passenger side or with the hood up, I'll do that when I'm out of work.

Is this normal? Could it be lifter tick? Would GM Top Engine Cleaner help? I have an old BMW that has notorious lifter tick, sounds similar. I cleaned all the valves when I had the head off and it went away.

I just put brand new Mobil 1 5w30 extended performance about 200 miles ago with brand new filter (P48E). The oil life monitor said 9% when I changed it old oil looked pretty filthy, and there was a generic oil filter on it - from previous owner. Just had it inspected in Massachusetts and no engine codes popped up, no light on, etc.

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna bring it into my garage, and use my DSLR camera to take the video, that way there won't be any outside wind noise/etc, and it's higher quality than my phone. I've heard of the common 6.2 piston slap, but this doesn't sound like any of the video's I've seen regarding that.

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have another video below.

The sound isn't nearly as audible with the hood open and my phone above the engine, but seems to be more noticeable along the passenger side exhaust manifold area. It also seems to be louder from underneath the truck. I'm gonna put it on my lift this week and listen more closely.

Could it be an exhaust leak even though it's still audible after 1/2 hour worth of driving at idle?

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure if it is a bad enough leak. In the first vid it had an exhaust leak sound to it. Haven't watched the second video.

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
final video, phone was placed on the lines going into the firewall on the passenger side. Increases with engine speed.

Gonna get it up on the lift Sunday and see if I can pinpoint an exhaust leak. Might take the valve cover off and see what it looks like under there.

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: put in a bottle of Gumout regane high mileage in a 3/4 tank, drove it till best empty, then refilled tank and put in a bottle of Red Line SI-1, noise is pretty much gone.

Was reading about lifter tick on BITOG forums, saw some recommendations of "kreen" in the oil that could help. That's next

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Update: put in a bottle of Gumout regane high mileage in a 3/4 tank, drove it till best empty, then refilled tank and put in a bottle of Red Line SI-1, noise is pretty much gone.

Was reading about lifter tick on BITOG forums, saw some recommendations of "kreen" in the oil that could help. That's next

My Lade makes this same noise and I ran a bottle of b12 chemtool n the noise has subsided. Yet it's still apparent especially on acceleration. Did you pinpoint what the problem was? I have no broken manifold bolts. I have some dripping from a pipe underneath that may be condensation. So really not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GPPV