Question for upgrading Towing capacity 06 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! I'd like to reply to everyone individually - THANKS! I had some basic understanding of physics as it applied to our Yukon Denali and was very hesitant to try to drive it across state as my wife originally suggested. I knew it would be a disaster. I was also unsure about the whole 1500 vs. 2500 comparison. Seemed fishy to have a few folks locally say there were only minor differences based on the add-ons. Glad I posted here for feedback and advice. For clarification, my trailer is a 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 311BHSS. It is 31 feet in body length and 34'10" on the hitch total. Dry weight was supposed to be about 6500 lbs and loaded at 7600 lbs.

My wife REALLY likes our Denali for a daily driver. It has a few flaws - overhead fan buzzing, driver seat head rest busted, multi-disc player doesn't work and the oil sending unit has gone native throwing false engine codes every other day. Otherwise that's all low cost issues. I am concerned about the front suspension as our new(er) tires are showing uneven wear and I'm told that's par for the course on this era of the model. So I'd really like to get it into a shop and have them just blast it with all repairs in one round. The pain is we only have one vehicle as my commuter is a company car. So to get all that fixed, I'd have to rent and put her in a minivan (aghast!) for a few days. Looking at trading it in, but didn't want to sit on a car payment for 4-6 years if we didn't have to. So many decisions! Thanks again!
Here’s :2cents:Look at it this way, if you spend the money on repairs that’s way cheaper than a payment on a newer vehicle every month for however long it takes to pay off. And your generation Yukon is a much more solid and reliable rig than a lot of newer vehicles on the road now. There’s plenty of members here, myself included who are running this platform GM and despite age, the trucks are extremely reliable. A broken headrest is no big deal, the fan buzzing is part of the auto climate control system and can be very easily fixed. There’s a thread on here in the 2000-2006 section of the forum describing the fix that’s a DIY fix. The front end is fairly common, I’ve dealt with it on my truck as well as seen it on several others who I know personally. More than likely it isn’t your front shocks causing uneven wear. More than likely it’s way out of alignment due to bad pitman arms and/or front sway bar issues. It’s pretty common in these trucks. I had to replace the pitman arms and the sway bar bushings under the front end, and that got me back into alignment and haven’t had issues with uneven tire wear since then. Again these issues can be fixed and you will have a solid running and fun vehicle for a pretty long time if you maintain it correctly! Plus as a member, you have all the access to everything you can find and all the knowledge you’d need to tackle an issue if you so choose, which I found to be invaluable in helping to keep my truck in top running shape!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

techswabbie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It looks like you already received some good information, but I wanted to add my experiences since they may be relevant. I purchased my 2005 6.0L AWD Yukon Denali specifically to tow our Gulfstream AmeriLite 21MB. Like yours, mine has a max tow capacity of 8,100lbs, front axle rating of 3,550lbs, and rear axle rating of 4,000lbs. The trailer has a dry weight of 3,330lbs and a max loaded weight of 6,240lbs. As the trailer sits when we are loaded to camp with food, gear, solar panels, A/C units, batteries, propane, etc. it's between 4,500-4,600lbs with a tongue weight of 500-550lbs (~12%). Even though I am 3,500lbs below my tow limit when I went over the CAT scales, I was only 200lbs below my rear axle rating. That is even with the use of a weight distribution hitch and torsion bars to pivot some of the tongue weight to the front axle.

All that to say my setup tows great and I would hop in it and drive across the country if I had the time without hesitation, but if I was going to tow anything bigger or heavier than my 21' camper I would look into a 2500 series platform vehicle.

This pretty much is the "nail in the coffin". We're going to have to go to the bank soon! Thanks mals for a pretty descriptive explanation of your specific experience!

OP
OP
T

techswabbie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here’s :2cents:Look at it this way, if you spend the money on repairs that’s way cheaper than a payment on a newer vehicle every month for however long it takes to pay off. And your generation Yukon is a much more solid and reliable rig than a lot of newer vehicles on the road now. There’s plenty of members here, myself included who are running this platform GM and despite age, the trucks are extremely reliable. A broken headrest is no big deal, the fan buzzing is part of the auto climate control system and can be very easily fixed. There’s a thread on here in the 2000-2006 section of the forum describing the fix that’s a DIY fix. The front end is fairly common, I’ve dealt with it on my truck as well as seen it on several others who I know personally. More than likely it isn’t your front shocks causing uneven wear. More than likely it’s way out of alignment due to bad pitman arms and/or front sway bar issues. It’s pretty common in these trucks. I had to replace the pitman arms and the sway bar bushings under the front end, and that got me back into alignment and haven’t had issues with uneven tire wear since then. Again these issues can be fixed and you will have a solid running and fun vehicle for a pretty long time if you maintain it correctly! Plus as a member, you have all the access to everybrras you can find and lol the knowledge you’d need to tackle an issue if you so choose, which I found to be invaluable in helping to keep my truck in top running shape!

Also promising feedback here... This will make my wife happy as I'm pretty sure I'd like to keep this truck and not have to trade it in for a monetary amount that is far less than the joy we get out of it.

6speedblazer

Reaction score
The 4L80E is certainly a beefier transmission, but it's also a few inches longer so it's not a simple swap. You'd need to also replace the driveshaft, and you'd need to move one of the crossmembers.

The 2500 trucks get the 10.5" full floater rear axle. American Axle rates it to 10,000 lbs in other applications, compared to the 4000-lb rating of the 10-bolt in the half-ton trucks. The limiting factor on my 2500 rear axle weight rating is the load-carrying capacity of the tires, not the axle.

The 4l80e is larger, but its still not a hard swap by any means. i have swapped a handfull into various chassis and tuned a dozen more that were swapped. Obviously its harder on a 4wd/awd setup. but on a 2wd most of the time you can reuse the stock driveshaft if you find the proper slip yoke. FOr cross members its a simple cut and weld. cut the center chunk out and slide it back about 3 inches and weld it up. or buy a fabbed one that someone makes, there are guys making trans cross members specifically for 4l80e swaps in the GMT800 platform.

The hardest part of the swap for people is usually the wiring and or tuning.

But in the end the minimal ammount of work is well worth the upgrade.

His truck should have a 4L65E trans. That’s what was standard in the 2006 Denali. That’s what my 2006 Denali has. I tow with my rebuilt 4L65E and it handles fine. Although I’m not pulling anywhere near that amount of weight and my trips are short around town trips to and from the lake. But at any rate I agree the 4L80 trans is a tank for towing.

the 4l60e 4l65e and 4l70e are all the same basic trans with some beefier hard parts in the 65 and 70e.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a few mods to mine to help towing though my application will be slightly different then you but maybe you can take a few cues. I did a AWD delete, rear gear swap, Circle D torque converter, big front mount aux trans cooler, rebuilt and beefed up 4l60e, Air Lift helper bags in the rear with compressor, long tube headers and exhaust, efans, and PCM tune. Since my bags on my rear shocks were broken and non-functioning, the airlift aftermarket setup has been great. For power under load, the single best mod was the headers. Man the motor really wakes up and pulls like a champ when it can breathe properly. Yours will already have efans being an 06 model. I think your trans isnt going to care for towing that kind of weight, and keeping it cool is critical. Id start there.

chrispitude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are there any upgrade options for the rear axle? I'm not looking for more capacity, but just more durability when used within rating for towing.

xDan

Reaction score
Hmm..I towed 7500# 1200km over the Canadian Rockies with my 71 c10. Aside from the rear end really low I had no issues with the th350 and an extra trans cooler plus temp gauge installed and that trans is much weaker than the 4l60e.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any upgrade options for the rear axle? I'm not looking for more capacity, but just more durability when used within rating for towing.

I'm sure there are companies that can do a rebuild with better/beefier components, but at the end of the day it's still a semifloater axle. The 3/4-ton and larger trucks get full-floating rear axles.

As I mentioned in previous posts, the half-ton Suburban axle is rated to 4000 lbs. And while the tag on the door of my 3/4-ton Suburban says 5500 lbs for the rear axle, some Googling discovered a sales/data brochure from American Axle showing that they rate it to 8,600 lbs. So now the limiting factor are the tires, which can handle about 3,000 lbs each. While the rear axle is probably the weakest part of the powertrain on a half-ton, that's certainly not the case on the 2500. Heck, the FRONT axle of my 2500 has a higher weight rating than the REAR axle of a half-ton!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10.5"_Corporate_14_Bolt_Differential

BOfOMp5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent