Question about doing oil changes without removing drain plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a few good oil pans for sale if you decide to go that route.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not do it. I would go ahead and change the pan and gasket. I just had this EXACT problem with my son's 99 Silverado. He just got the truck so we went to change the oil and saw that it had a wierd rubber plug in place of the factory plug. I couldn't figure out how to remove it and apparently broke it in the process. So we're sitting here trying to figure out what to do and I remember a YouTube video I saw a while back from "Eric the Car Guy". He explained that most vehicle have an oil plug that's actually shorter than the threaded hole. I shined a flashlight in the hole and sure enough, only the first inch or so of the threads were all shredded up. So I'm searching all through my tool chest looking for bolts, and I found a brake caliper bolt. I lost a bolt for my rear brake caliper bracket a while back and I bought a new one, but the new ones come in pairs. I compared it to the oil pan and it looked like the right size so I threaded it in. It fit perfectly! It's the same exact thread pitch as the stock oil pan plug, but it's about an inch longer. So I made a washer/gasket for it out of plastic, and although it was only supposed to be a temporary fix, it's been on there for the last 7 months now.
However, we do plan on changing the oil pan since the gasket is leaking anyways. The makeshift drain plug will stay until I help him replace the oil pan.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a bmw and for the past 50k miles I've been using a $20 fluid extraction pump through the dip stick tube. I can't say for sure how much is left in the pan but I always been able to fill it with the 8 quarts it recommends

brasil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is about welding a nice nut in place where the oil plug is now... then usea new srew with a copper or plastic ring...

Should work... in my opinion

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think you should be able to wedge a door panel type tool in there and give it some leverage while unscrewing and it will probably come out, I haven't done it with a oil pan but plenty of other things as I tend to over tighten stuff a lot and usually the screw is softer than the nut but not always....

99Vortec

Reaction score
I had a tech tell me I might need a new oil pan on my 1999. I got lucky and just installed a new M12-1.75 thread bolt....

(The material on the bolt should be softer than the thread material on the pan.)

gl

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tap it out to the next larger size and or use a helicoil. Do it with the pan on, then dump a few quarts of oil down into the motor to wash out any debris from the cutting, the magnet on the end of your new plug will take care of any missed.

I ran a Jiffy Lube and we did this all the time. Not because my boys cross threaded them, because they came in that way or my boss sent them over from another store because I had them trained to make such repairs and the tools on hand.

zraffz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is about welding a nice nut in place where the oil plug is now... then usea new srew with a copper or plastic ring...

Should work... in my opinion
Aren't these pans cast aluminum? Your average Joe can't weld aluminum and the ones who can, probably can't weld cast aluminum.

If the OP wants a used oil pan, I might have one I can give away for free if he pays shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B