Question about doing oil changes without removing drain plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SBdadman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a 2000 Yukon Denali with around 195k miles on it. Has it's moments but is still running just fine. I came up on time to change the oil and it appears that the last person who changed the oil screwed up putting the drain plug back in and when I try to remove it it just turns and spins, not sure how to get it out.

Is there any fix for getting it out and replacing the plug with a new self tapping one without having to completely replace the drain pan and plug?

Also I'd like to do the oil changes myself now that I have a garage and space if the plug won't come out is it worth it to by an extractor to suck the oil out via the fill opening in the engine bay with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/EWK-Pneumati...TF8&qid=1509027850&sr=8-7&keywords=oil+change

Wasn't sure if this was a work around that would allow me to drain the oil out and replace the filter and oil without dealing with effed up drain plug.

Thanks for any help or suggestions, I'm still kinda new to this do it yourself on the Yukon, replaced battery, radiator reservoir tank, body control module and some fuses and brakes so far.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You will not be able to "suck" out the oil from the oil filler add area. The only chance you would have is thru the dipstick tube but I would not do that either. Bite the bullet and replace the pan and gasket, use Fel-Pro gaskets, and do it right. If you do get the "stripped" drain plug out you can try an oversize plug and self tap the threads and that may work for a short while. It never works permanently and ends up leaking. It is a band aid and not a repair. I always cringe with "patch" repairs. I don't even like using heli-coils. Drink a few less beers and smoke less gaunga and take that money and get a good oil pan and gaskets and if the repair is out of your realm, get help from a qualified tech.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get it hard to justify the money on 200k mile truck. lots of guys swap the truck pan for fbody/vette pan maybe keep an eye on local Craigslist for a used one prob just as cheap as the extractor.
Also plug is pretty easy to get to, have you tried to wedge something between bolt/washer and pan while in screwing? May just need to get out of first few threads although I'm not sure I would want to use a self tapping drain plug and not be able to clean out shavings

OP
OP
S

SBdadman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I get it hard to justify the money on 200k mile truck. lots of guys swap the truck pan for fbody/vette pan maybe keep an eye on local Craigslist for a used one prob just as cheap as the extractor.
Also plug is pretty easy to get to, have you tried to wedge something between bolt/washer and pan while in screwing? May just need to get out of first few threads

Yea I haven't fought with it yet but that was going to be my next step, after I realized it was spinning and not going anywhere I wanted to do a little research on tips for getting it out, I was worried I'd get it yanked out and then not have a way to replace or put something in and be stuck with a drained oil pan that I can't drive til I fix the issue. Thanks though when I give it another go this weekend I'll try to wedge and see if the stripping isn't the entire plug and just the first threads.

OP
OP
S

SBdadman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You will not be able to "suck" out the oil from the oil filler add area. The only chance you would have is thru the dipstick tube but I would not do that either. Bite the bullet and replace the pan and gasket, use Fel-Pro gaskets, and do it right. If you do get the "stripped" drain plug out you can try an oversize plug and self tap the threads and that may work for a short while. It never works permanently and ends up leaking. It is a band aid and not a repair. I always cringe with "patch" repairs. I don't even like using heli-coils. Drink a few less beers and smoke less gaunga and take that money and get a good oil pan and gaskets and if the repair is out of your realm, get help from a qualified tech.

Thanks for the advice, I don't drink or smoke so not sure where that comment came from but I'll look into the Fel-Pro gaskets and such as I price out what I do.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Since it is stripped you can expect it to leak oil and that leak can accelerate when you least expect it. Keep an eye on it till you decide to fix it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I don't drink or smoke so not sure where that comment came from but I'll look into the Fel-Pro gaskets and such as I price out what I do.

It was an attempt to joke and sorry if offended. I don't drink or smoke myself so I assume anyone younger than me does. Again, just a joke but I meant what I said about fixing it right if you are planning to keep the truck.

OP
OP
S

SBdadman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It was an attempt to joke and sorry if offended. I don't drink or smoke myself so I assume anyone younger than me does. Again, just a joke but I meant what I said about fixing it right if you are planning to keep the truck.

No worries, yea I'm hoping to keep this guy running as long as I can so I'll keep an eye for leaks and check the oil levels til I get it all fixed up.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Great, the one thing to always remember about vehicles and women is that you should never "assume" anything.