quality of oil used in change VS quanitity of oil changes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do alot of city driving id be interested to see whats it doing to the oil. next change ill send in a sample and update. thanks for the great posts on here!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The good thing about doing a used oil analysis is that you not only find out the condition of the oil, but they test for other substances in the oil like coolant, silica (dirt), and metals like aluminum, iron, zinc, etc. If you have very high levels of aluminum in the oil for instance, that can alert you to a problem with something in the engine wearing out.

slowride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that this would hold true in every situation but I have some firsthand experience that changed my thinking. My employer buys several of us new trucks and pays for all related expenses on them. My partner that I work with recently turned in his truck to get another one. This one he just retired is a 2010 GMC 1500 4x4 with the 5.3 and 317k miles on it. His truck before that was a 2005 Chevy 1500 4x4 with the 5.3 and turned in at a little over 300k.
He just changes the oil once a month at any quick lube type place he happens to be around. By my math that was at like 5k miles avg. Same grade but different brand oil each time. Never had any engine problems with either truck. Our driving is probably 75% highway type and 25% "off road" and he does drive it like hes making the payments.
Ive been running the factory spec synthetic blend each time in mine mainly because Im not paying for it. I used to be very particular about using brand "x" and changing at every 3k miles on my personal cars but seeing the mileage and lack of engine issues he had made me rethink that. I probably dont get to drive my personal cars but maybe 5k a year so I may now just run the lowest priced oil that meets the required spec instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SWoolf777