Putting a 6.0L in 2004 Tahoe with 5.3L

Discussion in 'OEM Parts Direct' started by Dekindre17, Jul 21, 2017.

1. bottomline2000

bottomline2000 Full Access Member

Name:
    Big G
    I have 3.42 gears and a cammed 6.0 in my tahoe. It will work fine. I was running a 26-2800 stall too. The gears will put more strain on your transmission, but the weak link is the g80 in the rear diff. I only engaged it once and it didn't sound happy lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#1taho likes this.
  2. Onebadsss

Onebadsss Full Access Member

Name:
    Dave
    Lower gear ratio will have some trade-offs: better fuel economy @ highway cruising because you'll turn lower RPMs but you'll sacrifice acceleration speed (not a huge deal). I used to own an 05 SS AWD with the LQ9 and 4.10s and now drive a 2006 Escalade with the LQ9 and 3.73s. I prefer the 3.73s, good comprise between 4.10 and 3.42 in the NBS trucks/SUVs. Now as far as the engine swap goes: if you want to get the most out of it I'd recommend doing maintenance items with the motor out (for sanity sake) like plugs/wires, cleaning the TB, replacing/upgrading the water pump and oil pump and upgrading to a 160 thermostat and upgrading your Tahoe to factory electric fans. You also might consider a cam upgrade at that time too.

For drivetrain: depending on your truck's current mileage and condition, at the very least I'd recommend the following for longevity behind the LQ9: T/A Performance Girdle w/ ARP bearing cap stud upgrade on the rear diff, shift kit in the trans w/ upgraded Vette servos, aluminum accumulator, etc and have your Transfer Case evaluated for a "pump rub kit" as insurance against a future failure. I'd also highly recommend switching to all synthetic gear oils: Mobil1, Royal Purple, AmsOil, etc whatever suits your fancy.

And lastly, as others have mentioned: get a tune ASAP!!

Tonyrodz and MadDogDelpho like this.
  3. bottomline2000

bottomline2000 Full Access Member

Name:
    Big G
    Funny you mentioned the gearing a and efficiency. My 6.0 seems to turn lower rpms at the same speed as my 5.3 did. A combination of my 3.42 gearing, 295/35/24 tires, engine turning lower rpms and my cam I find myself running too low of a rpm on the highway and ironically out of my powerband until about 75mph. I plan to go 4.11. U have to look at the whole package.

I am going to look into this..T/A Performance Girdle w/ ARP bearing cap stud upgrade though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

4. Onebadsss

Onebadsss Full Access Member

Name:
    Dave
    You are absolutely right! I was making that statement based off running OEM 20" wheels with the stock 275/55 R20 tire size as that's what I ran on the SS and currently run on the Esky. Any departure from that will skew the results in either direction which would require more exact calculation.

Can't go wrong with the T/A girdle! Better cooling, more fluid capacity, integrated fill and drain ports for easy fluid change out and the ARP bearing cap stud kit is cheap insurance for increased longevity of the factory G80 by decreasing torsional stress on the rear end under heavy loading! There is a great write up over on SilveradoSS.com on how to DIY install and you can get the girdle + stud kit for about $190 shipped from either T/A or Amazon

I ran it on my SS and am about to install it on my Esky as well!

bottomline2000 likes this.
  5. Red Rocket

Red Rocket Full Access Member

Name:
    Mark
    Not sure but I believe there's a clearance issue with the panhard bar on our rigs and these girdles. I remember another member here having problems but it may have been another brand.