Pulled the front diff now I'm stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled my diff to change it out because I thought it was bad. When I engage it and hit the gas it would make a terrible noise like gears are broken or stripped. After taking it out peeped into the case through the breather port. It was clean, nothing out of the ordinary, so I pulled the long shaft and looked at the engaging mechanism thinking those gears were messed up, nothing. Everything looks good, no metal shavings or anything! Only choice now is to put the other unit in and see if it does it anymore. If it still does then maybe it's the transfer case? Anyone else run into this problem???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Duffy is in and it still makes noise, but knowing what I know now, it sounds like the chain in the transfer case is slipping, ugh. Anyone know if the transfer case from a 99 Burban is the same for a Yukon?

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the tag on the back of the transfer case. I would think they would be the same, both should be autotrac transfer cases in 99'.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically as long as it's an np246 from 98'-2000 right?

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 99' Tahoe and Suburban with a 5.7L and a 4l60e use the same transfer case. Its GM # 24228422, its listed as a model 241C. I would think any newer body style trucks or suv's might mount differently. Call a dealership parts dept with your vin and the vin of the donor vehicle and see if they have the same part number to be sure.
Last thing you need is to pull your old one and find out your "new" one has some difference and won't work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts