Problems with Sirius/XM section of radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the last week I have noticed the signal dropout on out XM radio. I initially thought it was cloudy weather but it is happening all of the time.

So I just completed an extensive "Hard Boot" troubleshooting exercise with XM techs. The final analysis is that I have a radio defect and should take it into my dealer....which I will do. The tech stated that this has gotten to be common with 2015/2016/2017 GM Touch Screen Radios.

Have any of you guys experienced this issue?

This will be my second trip back to the dealer with radio issues. The first issue was with the touch screen that went totally blank and was replaced.

Seems that this high tech stuff is very vulnerable.

OP
OP
Yukon John

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at the Ford F-150 Forum...seems that they are having exactly the same problem...dealers are replacing the original antennas with a new/different unit.

Apparently, there may be a 4G Cell Signal interference.

It will be interesting to see what GM does with this.

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly my XM radio has been rock solid. It's the regular FM & FM HD radio stations that fade in and out for me. What's really annoying though is that when I play music saved on a USB stick or iPod there is pause in between tracks/songs instead of gapless playback. I wish GM would develop a fix for that.

I also wish the XM station logo is displayed on the screen like it does in my BMW. Not a show stopper by any means but it still irks me.

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the last week I have noticed the signal dropout on out XM radio. I initially thought it was cloudy weather but it is happening all of the time.

So I just completed an extensive "Hard Boot" troubleshooting exercise with XM techs. The final analysis is that I have a radio defect and should take it into my dealer....which I will do. The tech stated that this has gotten to be common with 2015/2016/2017 GM Touch Screen Radios.

This will be my second trip back to the dealer with radio issues. The first issue was with the touch screen that went totally blank and was replaced.

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WITH THREE OF MY YUKONS AND SIERRAS

icicls01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Got the same issue here on my 2016 Tahoe. Maybe because of the painted XM antenna caps? I see other trucks using a black cap while mine is painted. Should be a recall on this. Very frustrating.

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had XM HD radio and GPS issues. 50 miles off. The dealer first said it was due to the HMI being unlocked. They said there was an issue with some trucks thinking they were in Michigan. Luckily they didn't have to reflash my HMI And it was just the antenna. The connection point on the underside was corroded. They said it was from high pressure car washes.

jmellon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been having this problem too on my 2016 Yukon. It has gotten much worse in the last month or so.

OP
OP
Yukon John

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...I just returned from my dealer with my Yukon. Accordingly...my Satellite Antenna tested "Bad"...so a new one is on order to replace it. I will receive a call when it arrives and schedule an appointment for replacement...warranty item of course.

I learned while I was there that recently there was a 2016 Denali with the same issue...apparently that one was loose, allowing water intrusion. The cable connection had corroded so his cable and antenna had to be replaced.

I will report back once this is corrected.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning Yukon John,

We regret to hear you are experiencing these concerns with your Yukon, but are happy that your dealership has been able to diagnose the issue. If you would like any additional assistance while you are working with your dealer, please feel free to send us a private message.

All the best,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care

OK...I just returned from my dealer with my Yukon. Accordingly...my Satellite Antenna tested "Bad"...so a new one is on order to replace it. I will receive a call when it arrives and schedule an appointment for replacement...warranty item of course.

I learned while I was there that recently there was a 2016 Denali with the same issue...apparently that one was loose, allowing water intrusion. The cable connection had corroded so his cable and antenna had to be replaced.

I will report back once this is corrected.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello william quirk, icicls01 and jmellon,

We understand how important it is to have a reliable radio in your vehicle and your desires to find a fix. We recognize that at this time you are looking to other forum members for feedback on this situation. However, we would be more than happy to look into this further for you. Please send us a private message with more details if this is something you are interested in.

Take care,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WITH THREE OF MY YUKONS AND SIERRAS

Got the same issue here on my 2016 Tahoe. Maybe because of the painted XM antenna caps? I see other trucks using a black cap while mine is painted. Should be a recall on this. Very frustrating.

I have been having this problem too on my 2016 Yukon. It has gotten much worse in the last month or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh