Proactive Alert 2016 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kiboater

Reaction score
I keep receiving emails from Onstar that reference a low state of charge on the battery. Here is a cut and paste of the email:

Your 2016 GMC Yukon detects a low state of charge (SOC) on its battery. The battery can recharge during normal driving, so please run the engine as soon as possible to avoid a situation where your vehicle doesn't start. You can also charge your battery using a battery charger. Please disregard this message if your vehicle is already in for service (as this could be a false notification if the vehicle is in for service and the service being performed affects this component). NOTE: Some reoccurring SOC notifications may be due to something on vehicle (perhaps accessories plugged into Aux Outlets) causing the battery to drain, a service visit may be required in some instances.

Service Code SAC003 and Bulletin PI1250

If you would like additional information please contact Member Assistance at 1.866.237.3601.

If you require Roadside Assistance please contact 1.866.415.5838.

Please bring this email with you when you go for service.

The Advanced Diagnostics Service was developed using Genuine GM components. Due to the wide variation and availability of non-GM components, it is possible that using non-GM components may set false Service Messages. To maintain System performance, it is recommended to service these systems using Genuine GM components.

I have received 3 of these emails in the last months. No issues with the truck. No modifications or symptoms. Sometimes sits for a week during the summer but lots of highway use. Three hour highway trip between Notice 1 and 2. Charges at 15 volts and starts in below freezing weather. Took it in today and the dealer did a Midtronics test on the battery and it was OK. I think the dealer thinks its a scam but the Onstar website has the same warnings. Getting ready for a 1200 mile trip to the Lower Keys. The bulletin is available on the web but it doesn't contain any additional info.

Anyone else getting these emails?

thanks

Frank

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if a dying cell in the battery could cause this.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re probably good. With that, if you feel that uneasy about it, go to autozone or local mechanic and have them test battery and charging system. Or......put a new battery in it and block emails from onstar and be done with it.

hunter991

Reaction score
Funny, i am sitting at the dealer right now with the same message having them check it out on my tahoe. Got 3 of these messages over the last 3 days. Truck always starts however. I started a post on this monday of this week.

hunter991

Reaction score
Update- sitting here 3 hours and they say nothing is wrong with the car. Even thou this message is considered critical by onstar.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update- sitting here 3 hours and they say nothing is wrong with the car. Even thou this message is considered critical by onstar.
Yup, pretty much. Betcha voltage alert is set at like 12.9876543210 or some stupid shit so the minute anyones battery hits that # an alert is sent. Truck will start fine but gm is being over protective....

hunter991

Reaction score
I bet your right. Dealership said they called the tech center and they never heard of this.. yet there are 2 posts on this site already about the problem.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
I was getting it all the time as well. Dealer checked it out and I have tested as well. No issues and the truck is still fine. Been a year now. Hell, I got one OnStar proactive alert notification that basically indicated my vehicle was going to explode at any minute. Literally every system on the chart was a red check in critical state. I sent it to my service tech and we had a good laugh.

Id check the voltage at the alternator and at the battery. If that test fine I'd say you're good.

hunter991

Reaction score
They tested that with a draw test. In fact they claim they tested the entire charging system. Found no issues, showed me the results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9