Pre Purchase Question - 4WD Off Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ Sonnick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there!
Looking into leasing a tahoe LT 4x4, except i'm realizing that all of the models at local dealers that have the features I want do not have the Z71 off road feature - they are only equipped with a single case transfer.

I like to take my 4x4's off road onto the beach in the winter, and usually put them into 4 LO...

With that being said, if I don't have the Z71 off road feature (2 speed case transfer) does that mean I can't take this onto the sand even if it has 4WD ?

I normally go to Jersey Shore beaches if anyone is familiar....

Please advise!

Thanks!

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have taken my LT burban on the Texas beaches without issue. Regular 4WD worked fine and did not have to deflate the tires. Pickups in 2WD were getting stuck all over. Personally I wouldn't have any worries taking mine in loose sand/sand dunes in 4WD but making sure to have reduced pressure in the tires.

So to be clear -

Regular 4WD high is fine on hardpack beach and slightly soft or wet sand areas a good distance away from high and low tide areas.

Regular 4WD and deflated tires for loose, dry sand beaches and dunes. Stay away from the water.

4WD low if you are stuck (amiright?)

PwrdbyM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably more important is switching out the tires to an actual AT tire. The LT is going to come with all-season highway tires. If you're leasing, switch out the tires then at the end of the lease toss the OEM ones back on and you'll easily meet the minimum tread depth.
I recently put Yokahoma Geolander ATs on my brand new LT to lose the craptastic fuel max Goodyears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne