PPV wheel bearing question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello fellow PPV'ers,

I recently noticed my passenger front wheel bearing had some play in it, so I ordered a hub/bearing assembly from Timken SP450303.

912pr5m6COL._SY355_.jpg

Since PPV's are 2wd there is no axle shaft that runs through the front so the hub assembly from Timken itself is sealed.

However, on the current hub on the vehicle, I can see the splines like if it was a 4wd hub.

7e4m6z0l.jpg

Was there some design / revision change or are the hubs on the truck now incorrect?

Thanks!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would make sense for the design to accomodate both 2WD and 4/AWD configurations. The bearings are sealed and we read of guys removing their front differential and having no problems We also hear stories of people removing their front differential and their wheels falling off. I've not been able to gather enough details as to why one is ok and one is not.

As for the photos, that cover probably pops off revealing the splines underneath! What's the other side of the 1st picture look like?

OP
OP
D

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would make sense for the design to accomodate both 2WD and 4/AWD configurations. The bearings are sealed and we read of guys removing their front differential and having no problems We also hear stories of people removing their front differential and their wheels falling off. I've not been able to gather enough details as to why one is ok and one is not.

As for the photos, that cover probably pops off revealing the splines underneath! What's the other side of the 1st picture look like?

Thats what I read too... but no concrete evidence of wheels falling off if using the wrong hub. I know on some vehicles, the axle / axle nut needs to be in place.

The only thing I've read between the different hubs are their load ratings. The post can be found here: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2wd-and-4wd-hubs.62268/#post-777965

Either way, I'll report back once I install it lol. I'm sure its fine. I was just curious.

Thank you for your reply.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link from Steve, I was looking for that one the other day to try and help someone out. I've used the SP500301 on my truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well just to update for any future reference... the wheel bearing / hub assembly I pulled off looked like the SP500301 variant (splines visible).

I installed an SP500303 (no spline, sealed hub hole). Seems to be fine so far. I guess they both work fine :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons