power steering hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackout82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
is there a way to replace my high pressure power steering hose without taking everything else off?

OP
OP
B

blackout82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ive read that the fan and pulley had to be removed and the bracket. i cant seem to get a wrench in there though so i can pull just the hose

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get a wrench on there from underneath the truck. There isn't a whole lot of room to move the wrench back in forth but once you get it broke loose they'll usually unthread by hand.

TonyJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
16mm on top or 5/8, 18mm or 3/4 (a tad loose...) on bottom. Don't forget the o-rings... I had to pull the AC bracket. Pain in the butt... Best explanation from Mark Simko:

OK, for the record, the large aluminum bracket did need to be removed from
the engine. To do this:

1. remove the top half of the fan shroud
2. remove the serpentine belt
3. remove the AC compressor from the bracket. No need to break the
refrigerant lines.
4. remove the five bolts and nuts from the front of the bracket (three that
you can see, two on the bottom you have to feel for)
5. loosen the nut on the rear of the pump near the exhaust manifold.
6. the fan needs to come off to allow the bracket to come off the stud. You
need to buy or make the tool to hold the pulley while the fan is unscrewed
COUNTERclockwise.

Pull the bracket off the stud and lay the assembly back side up and replace
the hose.

Reverse 1 thru 6 above, refill the pump reservoire and that's it (well that
and an hour and a half of your time)

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Bracket does not need to be move at all to do the hose or power steering pump. and that is for a 4 wheel drive. however swinging the front splash shield down will get you some room to maneuver more.

hugho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
some of this advice is spot on and some not so.5 minute job it is NOT! At least on 4wd models like my 97. It took me several hours. Getting the fittings loose is doable without removing the shroud under and behind the radiator but reoving it definitely helps but the high pressure hose is a combo of steel with tight curves and swaged hose and is pretty unyielding and getting it to thread is the hard part with the minimal clearances. It is made much worse by the independent front suspension which makes it more crowded than the 1970's-80s models with a solid axle. That job was indeed a 5 minute job. It i would be easier on a lift as well. I am a pretty skilled mechanic but my lift was broken and it was an unpleasant job getting the fittings together without cross threading and with all the oil everywhere from the leak. This is a job I would farm out to a shop were I to have to do it again. The steel curves were not perfect either and I had to make some slight bends in the steel line to get the fittings aligned perfectly.

will7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
some of this advice is spot on and some not so.5 minute job it is NOT! At least on 4wd models like my 97. It took me several hours. Getting the fittings loose is doable without removing the shroud under and behind the radiator but reoving it definitely helps but the high pressure hose is a combo of steel with tight curves and swaged hose and is pretty unyielding and getting it to thread is the hard part with the minimal clearances. It is made much worse by the independent front suspension which makes it more crowded than the 1970's-80s models with a solid axle. That job was indeed a 5 minute job. It i would be easier on a lift as well. I am a pretty skilled mechanic but my lift was broken and it was an unpleasant job getting the fittings together without cross threading and with all the oil everywhere from the leak. This is a job I would farm out to a shop were I to have to do it again. The steel curves were not perfect either and I had to make some slight bends in the steel line to get the fittings aligned perfectly.

dude...if you have any advice please share. i got the old hose off just fine, but have spent HOURS (first time really repairing anything) trying to get it back on. i have plenty of hand access to the underhood-access attachment, but cannot for the life of me make the connection. it's so so disheartening...and frustrating :( any info you have to help get it hand-started would be maazing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9