Power Steering Fluid Reservoir -- Replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'08 Yukon Denali, 6.2 L, 133K
Hi everyone - I recently started a thread about replacing my power steering pressure hose, but I also want to get opinions on this photo which actually shows a rusted return line that is part of/permanently attached to the power steering fluid reservoir tank. The line isn't leaking and wasn't pointed out by my shop when they recommended replacing the weeping power steering pressure hose. I'm guessing to replace it, it would require the same process as removing the pump, since the pump is installed in an area of the reservoir, right? Maybe it looks bad, but is fine for now? Just looking for some opinions on whether it needs to be addressed now and also if I'm misinterpreting what it might take to replace the reservoir. Crazy random thought... could I scrape away some of the rust scale and spray some rust converter on it to slow/stop the rust and buy some time? Pump is working fine. Thanks! [Also see pic below of new reservoir with return line circled for reference]

View media item 27085

Last edited:
OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New reservoir.jpg Just for reference, here is the return line on a new reservoir that is shown in first pic with the close-up rust.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that line is replaceable, likely have to just replace the entire pump, there not a pricey part, check rockauto

Buzzcut

Reaction score
If the pump is fine replace that reservior. That corrosion is a ticking bomb for failure in my opinion.

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the pump is fine replace that reservior. That corrosion is a ticking bomb for failure in my opinion.
Can the reservoir be replaced without pulling the pulley and going through the pump replacement process, or would I have to do the same procedure, only reinstall the existing pump? Having never worked with the steering system I'm a novice. Am wondering if there is a way to independently remove the reservoir without also removing the pump. Thanks!

Buzzcut

Reaction score
Can the reservoir be replaced without pulling the pulley and going through the pump replacement process, or would I have to do the same procedure, only reinstall the existing pump? Having never worked with the steering system I'm a novice. Am wondering if there is a way to independently remove the reservoir without also removing the pump. Thanks!

Yes. The nut where the high pressure fitting is comes off. One you remove that fitting it will come apart with coaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345