Power difference between 15 and 16??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

busterw

Reaction score
I have a 15 LTZ and I have a friend with a 16 LT. Both vehicles have the 3.42 rear end in them. However, when I drive her 16, there is an immediate power delivery and it seems a lot more punchy whereas with my 15, it is like you have to push the throttle a lot more to get it going and the power delivery is a lot less crisp on my 15. Is there something different in the programming between 15 and 16 that makes the throttle on the 16 so much more responsive and requires less throttle input? My 15 has 17k miles on it where her 16 has about 7k miles on it.

Thanks!

sam123

Reaction score
I have a 15 LTZ and I have a friend with a 16 LT. Both vehicles have the 3.42 rear end in them. However, when I drive her 16, there is an immediate power delivery and it seems a lot more punchy whereas with my 15, it is like you have to push the throttle a lot more to get it going and the power delivery is a lot less crisp on my 15. Is there something different in the programming between 15 and 16 that makes the throttle on the 16 so much more responsive and requires less throttle input? My 15 has 17k miles on it where her 16 has about 7k miles on it.

Thanks!
I would say it's the adjustment of the pedals. I've noticed that the truck is more responsive when the pedals are closer to you than when they're farther because you don't have to press as far down to get a response. Both trucks have the 5.3 so that wouldn't make it feel different

OP
OP
B

busterw

Reaction score
It's not the pedals. It's definitely a power issue. Also, whenever I drive her truck, I move the pedals all the way down like I have my own. I'm wondering if there's something different in the ECM, BCM and/or TCM programming of the 15 vs 16.

OP
OP
B

busterw

Reaction score
I'm 100% positive. She has not and will not do any customizations to her truck.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would feel that kind of difference if the trucks were at varying altitudes. The same naturally aspirated engine will make more power in Dallas than it will in Denver, for instance. Based on my experience long ago moving a Ford Probe from one to the other, it is enough to notice.

Otherwise, the whole powertrain carried over 15-16 as far as I know. There could be some random reason why your friend's truck is using a slightly richer mix than yours or something, but it would be outside of the published specs.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some vehicles just make more power. even w/ same OEM tuning
different break in, can sort of apply with this.

also i recall mention of a pedal movement issue on the gm truck forum.
maybe yours has some flex & the other doesnt...

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the vehicle has been driven a bit more aggressively for awhile the learning process of the engine management behaves accordingly. The other vehicle may have been driven more timid than yours and seems sedate. Dive it more aggressive and it will start to feel better to your tastes. I have had the same impressions when I traded my last Hoes for another "slightly" used one and again to my present Yukon I also plugged in the "Nano Performance Chip module into the OBD port which again gained more response and did not negatively affect the mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons