Popping noise coming from front end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ThatBlackHoe

ThatBlackHoe

Reaction score
For a popping/knocking sound coming from the front end and which is noticeable at lower speeds, it's very likely a bad ball joint or a failed sway bar end link or bushing.
I actually hope it's a sway bar end link. That's an easy fix.
Thank you!

HihoTaho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have the engine mounts been checked? Sounds. All the points you mentioned are shifts in power that would cause your. Engine to shift if the mounts are broken. Sadly the ones on 07-14 Tahoe are about as strong as glass

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same noise except it's really bad when backing up and louder than yours. If people are standing around the truck when it happens they look to see where it's coming from lmao. Embarrassing. I have the same noise on my envoy Denali. It's the control arm bushings. Might be the same for our nnbs trucks. When the bushing goes bad the control arm slides back and forth and makes the popping noise. I found it's cheaper and more time efficient to get the whole control arm instead of just the bushing. There isn't much of a price difference

jimlucier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had a similar noise on an 07 Suburban. Dealer found it to be a loose front cross member.

Tacky

Reaction score
The leveling kit could definitely be the source of your noise, I have seen it before.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just climb under it and tighten the front suspension up to spec until the noise goes away or you eliminate all the things you can do yourself. Depending on your leveling kit, you could also be hitting the droop stops. My "clunk" noise was broken end links.

DStarr02

Reaction score
If you stop and start on a flat even road and start again, does the clicking/popping occur?
Is it as the same interval, like pop, .1 second, pop, .1 second, pop...? Or random?
Rough surface and random i would look at bushings, ball jounts, and cross member.
Smooth and almost timed by speed i would look at CV joints, could be at a bad angle and cause early wear due to the leveling kit depending on how much higher you went. <2" probably fine, >2.5" may need a differential drop kit to get the angles better and new CVs.

One more thought, if it's just 1 clunk when going into drive, reverse, hitting the throttle or brakes, could be a motor mount. If you suspect that have someone you trust to hold the brake strongly, pop the hood, watching the engine, when the put it in gear holding the brake strongly, have them hit the throttle, if the engine lifts up >1", you probably have a bad motor mount on that side.

Last edited:

Sean Patt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did we ever find out what this was? I'm having the same sound with mine, I can here it at lower speeds like stop and go or pulling into the driveway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17