Popping noise coming from front end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 seconds in, I thought that was you shutting the door.
What were you doing at the moment that it make the popping sound, as you weren't even in drive yet. Sounds like a bushing maybe.

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you feel it in the steering wheel?

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Cant really watch the vid but when you hear popping with or w/o turning you will start to look at the suspension. UCAs lower ball joints, CV shafts if 4x4, and hub bearings.

Quick way to check the ball joints is lift the tires up off the ground just enough to fit a pry bar of some sort underneath. Once you have the pry bar under there lift up using the ground as a pivot and see if the tire shifts up and down, you should have some play like very very little but if you see if move a good half in or more and sometimes even hear a popping,clanking noise then you for sure have a problem with the upper and/or lower ball joints. Mostly lower ball joints bc they go through the most stress and ware faster.

OP
OP
ThatBlackHoe

ThatBlackHoe

Reaction score
Cant really watch the vid but when you hear popping with or w/o turning you will start to look at the suspension. UCAs lower ball joints, CV shafts if 4x4, and hub bearings.

Quick way to check the ball joints is lift the tires up off the ground just enough to fit a pry bar of some sort underneath. Once you have the pry bar under there lift up using the ground as a pivot and see if the tire shifts up and down, you should have some play like very very little but if you see if move a good half in or more and sometimes even hear a popping,clanking noise then you for sure have a problem with the upper and/or lower ball joints. Mostly lower ball joints bc they go through the most stress and ware faster.
ILl definit
5 seconds in, I thought that was you shutting the door.
What were you doing at the moment that it make the popping sound, as you weren't even in drive yet. Sounds like a bushing maybe.
I was backing up. I edited the video down to make it shorter, but I was backing out of a parking spot at that moment.

OP
OP
ThatBlackHoe

ThatBlackHoe

Reaction score

I sure hope this isn't what it is, but thanks for the help! I'll definitely give it a shot!

jwlt500r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have some popping going on in my 02 Avalanche and it turned out to be sway bar end links were loose, actually the nut was completely gone. lol

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a popping/knocking sound coming from the front end and which is noticeable at lower speeds, it's very likely a bad ball joint or a failed sway bar end link or bushing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos

Latest posts