Popping in Steering Column...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoneaz79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I know there is a TSB for the issue to replace a bearing in the column, however my situation is a little different and I need some opinions.

We had the issue addressed once around 17K miles and the bearing was replaced, around 21K miles the noise returned and the entire column was replaced (this was before the TSB advising to not replace the column, I believe).

Since the second repair we had the truck lifted (3.5" suspension, about 5" overall with larger tires). Now the noise is back...at under 30K miles.

This is where my issue comes in. Now GM wants to blame the modification for the failure, even though it was addressed twice prior to the modification and there is a TSB for it. The dealer actually refused to look at the vehicle until it is returned to stock, saying GM will not cover warranty work for any modified vehicles. Of course, I understand this violated Magnuson-Moss, but the dealer is under orders from GM.

I have spoken with GM customer care and have been told the dealer will look at it, but if their tech determines the failure was caused by the modification I am responsible for diag and repair. I requested a GM engineer be present as I don't believe the tech is trained to understand angles and other tolerances which an engineer will, that was denied.

So, I'm in a position where I could end up eating several hundred in what should be covered repairs because the tech wants customer pay time vs. warranty time and just says the modification caused the failure. Had this noise not happened prior to the lift I would just pay it, but since it was addressed twice prior AND there is a TSB, I am a little reluctant to believe the lift is the cause.

Thoughts? I've reached out to a couple attorneys who specialize in lemon law/Magnuson-Moss claims, both are eager to dig into GM, but ultimately I'm not concerned about their Ferrari payment, I just want my damn truck fixed.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the second repair we had the truck lifted (3.5" suspension, about 5" overall with larger tires). Now the noise is back...at under 30K miles.

Once this was done, any suspension or drive train warranty went out the window. I believe it has nothing to do with it, but it's an easy out for GM and they're going to take it. Honestly, IMO, you should have left it stock until your warranty was up, especially if you were already having issues.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a discussion thread with the part#s listed,price and how to do the repair. I would look that up and do the repair myself as it did not look that hard or have an independent shop. It certainly was not several hundred dollars for the parts and usually discounted on ebay with no tax and a lot of times free shipping. I do agree right or wrong once you lifted you may have voided a part of your warranty having to do with suspension and steering. Good luck.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^yep, I believe it ends up under $60 for the three parts. It's worth a shot.