Popping in steering column with slow turns - DENALI ONLY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is yours doing the same as the video? I thought you meant it's related directly to the mechanics of the powered system. I get what you're saying. Maybe the bearing spring seat setup is different with the powered units? Please keep us posted. I plan to tackle this as well, just haven't had the time.

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is popping at low speed maneuvers when you turn the wheel - 30 mph and under. You can feel the wheel pop. I just got an updated version of that TSB as well, they've added a second part about a wiring harness routing. I'll post back up after I do the repair on mine and see what it does.

I can't tell for sure but seems very similar to the video.

Last edited:

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, good to know. Do you know if it requires a standard GM wheel puller to remove steering wheel?

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, good to know. Do you know if it requires a standard GM wheel puller to remove steering wheel?

FIXED IT! It was tedious, took about an hour once I finally figured out how to release the airbag. The airbag has 2 indentions that you poke a straight screwdriver STRAIGHT into and PRESS DOWN the tabs to release the airbag.

Then remove the nut from the wheel, wiggle it loose, use the steering wheel puller to compress the spring, remove the lock ring, remove the plate, alignment tab, then the spring, seat and the bearing race (cause of the noise) just falls right out. Reassemble and it's all quiet now. Glad to have it fixed.

Thanks for the heads up on the TSB. The new addition to the TSB involving a possible second problem just talks about the wiring harness for the airbag coming unclipped from the retainer in the airbag. You will see what it means when you get the airbag out.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome. Pretty straightforward after figuring out airbag release. DId you use a standard GM wheel puller? And do you have the updated TSB? THanks!

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome. Pretty straightforward after figuring out airbag release. DId you use a standard GM wheel puller? And do you have the updated TSB? THanks!

Very much so. Standard puller worked fine.

Attached is the new TSB.

Attachments

• 2019977.pdf
    934.9 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. DId you disconnect battery before unplugging airbag?

Absolutely. I had the battery disconnected the whole time. Just remember to turn the wheel to the correct location BEFORE disconnecting the battery. I drove it a lot last night, it took every last bit of the slack/popping out of the steering wheel. It's kind of like going from a "force feedback" steering wheel to a regular wheel now! lol

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks. Interesting...I've always thought our wheel never really moved that smoothly compared to other vehicles. I'm ording the parts now and will hopefully finally end the ticking popping that I've grown accustom to the last 12mos.

Do the upper and lower plastic covers on column easily pop off? I'm guessing these need to come off prior to pulling wheel?

Do I need a puller or just a lock-plate removal tool? I know most newer vehicles steering wheels tend to to just pull off without a puller.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks. Interesting...I've always thought our wheel never really moved that smoothly compared to other vehicles. I'm ording the parts now and will hopefully finally end the ticking popping that I've grown accustom to the last 12mos.

Do the upper and lower plastic covers on column easily pop off? I'm guessing these need to come off prior to pulling wheel?

Do I need a puller or just a lock-plate removal tool? I know most newer vehicles steering wheels tend to to just pull off without a puller.

Thanks again!

Technically, just a lock plate removal tool. The steering wheel - just loosen the nut and wiggle it back and forth and pull. It was a little tough to pop but it came off.

As far as the column trim, you dont HAVE to remove it, but I did so I could get a mirror behind the airbag to see the releases. There are (2) T25 torx on the bottom cover and then an inverted torx on the RH side of the upper cover UNDERNEATH it, you have to pop the bottom down.

The key to the airbag is just poke a straight screwdriver STRAIGHT THROUGH the 2 indentions in the back side of the steering wheel and press DOWN on the airbag to release, don't try to pry one way or the other. It took me a bit to figure that out. Press towards the middle of the wheel - straight down to release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972