Popping in steering column with slow turns - DENALI ONLY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else experienced this?

My 2015/dino did it. I gave the dealer an opportunity to fix it, they scratched the heck out of the airbag and all the column covers, the problem went away for about a week and then came back worse than ever. I just traded it off.

My 2016 with 14k on it is doing it now too. It is only the Denalis that have the power steering column. Slow turns or parking lot maneuvers you can feel the column pop inside. I'm going to take my new one apart myself and fix it but I was curious to see if anyone actually had a documented fix.

Thanks.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not experienced this but have experienced everything else that could go wrong with a Yukon and it's only two years old

Jeremyf0923

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had this same issue in my 2017 Denali XL and had the steering column replaced. All good since then...knock on wood! :)

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hosseface, there is instructions on here some place with part numbers listed, just have to find it, IIR it was in the "interior section". It did not sound too bad. Good luck.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not just a Denali issue. Other models have the pwr column, although I don't think that has anything to do with it. And typically the entire column does not need to be replaced.

I started having the issue around 40k miles with our 15. I have yet to replace the parts as indicated in a different thread but plan to give it a try myself. It was a well known issue with the 15s and I'm surprised to hear some 16s are having it now.

The following needs to be replaced.

1 26055299 SPRING 065210
1 15231641 SEAT 065210
1 26001827 BEARING 065210

Last edited:

ta08hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea sounds like a ujoint/bearing issue my 08 home pops a little bit in the column as well not bad enough for me to want to take it apart yet

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not just a Denali issue. Other models have the pwr column, although I don't think that has anything to do with it. And typically the entire column does not need to be replaced.

I started having the issue around 40k miles with our 15. I have yet to replace the parts as indicated in a different thread but plan to give it a try myself. It was a well known issue with the 15s and I'm surprised to hear some 16s are having it now.

The following needs to be replaced.

1 26055299 SPRING 065210
1 15231641 SEAT 065210
1 26001827 BEARING 065210

Agreed, I wasn't aware other models outside of Denali had the power column. It is def related to the power column. Thanks for the info.

Is this the original thread I assume?

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/steering-wheel-removal.91023/

Thanks.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's it... I thought I iposted the actual GM TSB but I don't see it. I'll post it again here in a few minutes.

how do you know it's related to the pwr column? Is it the tick click type sound when making slow turns...like turning into a parking spot?

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's it... I thought I iposted the actual GM TSB but I don't see it. I'll post it again here in a few minutes.

how do you know it's related to the pwr column? Is it the tick click type sound when making slow turns...like turning into a parking spot?

I don't know for sure, but we own a high volume Express Lube and I've driven and been in 100's of 15+ and the ones with the non-power column never do it. Its always the power column. My local dealer has those parts in stock, I'm going to have them here shortly and have one of my guys tear this thing down and fix it today. I'll let you know if it solves the problem or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts