Polishing up you headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried all of the box kits and they work OK but the yellowing never really goes away or comes back even worse.
I got tired of it and hopefully this will last a lot longer.

I used in this order:
600 grit wet sandpaper
1000 grit wet sandpaper
2000 grit wet sandpaper
Maguire's rubbing compound with foam pad
3M headlight renewal
Maguire's polishing compound with wool pad
Maguire's headlight coating

Came out like a brand new set of housings.

View attachment 196468

Before
View attachment 196469

View attachment 196470

After

View attachment 196471

View attachment 196472
This is how I was taught to do it as a detailer. The cheap “restorer” kits never seem to work, but this does.

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been a yr since I did the lights on wifey's Rav and they're still sparkling clear,.... Im not sure if the Maquiers is a wax base or acrylic but it would seem to me that an acrylic would last longer.

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a strong chemical smell to it. I'll post the ingredients. It was 7 bucks I think and it had enough to do two coats on 2 sets of lights and some fogs

XEALOT

Reaction score
Went and polished up the wife's headlights today. I shouldn't have used the protective coating on such a windy day. It captured little dust particles but still looks a ton better.

Before

View attachment 196518

View attachment 196519

After

View attachment 196520

View attachment 196521
Nice work!! Looks great. As far as I know, the yellowing is just oxidized plastic, and it depends on the climate and weather of where you live, as to how long the new clarity will last. But certainly a clear coat should help.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Yenno what works good and I can’t explain it. Try using off bug spray. Someone at work told me about this and I called ********. I had some off in my truck and I tried it. It turned a customers headlight crystal clear

XEALOT

Reaction score
Yenno what works good and I can’t explain it. Try using off bug spray. Someone at work told me about this and I called ********. I had some off in my truck and I tried it. It turned a customers headlight crystal clear

I've heard of that too, but I wonder how long it lasts? I would think that after a week or so, that kind of fix would wear off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartman