Plug and play remote start review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda off topic for here but not really...

My GF has been complaining about wanting a remote start for her POS Pontiac G6 so I agreed to buy her one and install it for her bday (only a month late but who's counting?). I have installed a few remote starts and lets just say was dreading this one. I did a lot of research finding many that looked fairly easy to install but still have to splice into the factory wiring, carry two remotes or find a solution to doors and trunk, etc.

I came across a supposed plug and play option, Omega OL-RS-GM2. I bought it through Sonic Electronic as they seemed to be competitively priced and said they would program the unit for the car, seemed like a win to me. $90.00 and couple days later I receive a box in the mail :)

olrsgm2.jpg

Upon opening the box I took inventory of new unit and basically checking things out but noticed something was missing... no instructions. The problem with no instructions is that it comes with the module, one main wire (plugs into ignition wire), and three wires that plug into the security system (may not be the correct wording). Figure no big deal they must have forgotten to put them back in the box when they programmed it, call up Sonic and get some bro on the phone...

Me: I bought a OL-RS-GM2 off you and I did not receive any instructions.
Bro: We recommend you have a professional install it.
Me: Seriously? I would just like the instructions. Can you email them to me.
Bro: You will have to Google them.

So ya that was helpful. I called them because I didn't know if there was something specific since they program the unit but I guess I was wrong. Anyways I find the instructions on the Google, good thing because I wouldn't have known how to do the final program to the car...

Pic of module
olrsgm2.jpg

Pic of wiring
olrsgm2.jpg

So I didn't take any pics of the install, I decided to start this at 8 last night and had to hurry cause SOA comes on at 9. Looking at the wiring I posted above; the bottom left two plugs go into the module (only fit in one spot), you have to look in the instructions to which of the three wires you need for you car (yet again I need instructions bro!). The wires are all a T connector (male and female connectors so no wiring splicing). One plugs into the main ignition harness, and one for the PK3 connector (security system). Main ignition was simple to find but have no idea where the PK3 connector is because, well, I have never heard of it before. I fired up the ol Google again and it points me towards the BCM and gives me about five different locations for it, cannot find anything that matches up to the connector I have in my hand. I get pissed, eat dinner (ya we eat late wanna fight about it) and finally decide to check around the ignition a little more, it was a few inches from the other plug but tucked up in there. The reason for this part of the story is so you do not waste a half hour like I did lol.

After doing the install once I can safely say this is the easiest thing I have installed and should take less than a half hour from start to finish. I didn't mess around with a valet switch or the hood sensor thingy.

Things I like about this kit:
Comes programmed other than a quick program so that it works off the factory key fob, this takes about 30 seconds to perform.
No splicing of wires and all the connectors felt like they made a secure connection with the factory connectors.
Looks like it is expandable; longer range remotes, phone app, etc.
Affordable. $90 is dirt cheap for remote start especially a plug and play one.

Things I do not like about this kit:
Comes by default to be a lock, lock, lock sequence to start the car which honked the horn twice. Not really something I want my neighbors complaining about but was easily changed to lock, unlock, lock in about 30 seconds.

Looks like they have a kit for most vehicles mid 2000s and up. No idea which one would work for you guys but IMO would be a good option for those of you looking for a remote start system. If you have any questions post em up and I will try to answer them.

OP
OP
yates ™

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one you listed is for 3 models of GM cars only.
That one covers damn near every vehicle and its 59$.

Again, Good find.

Is that one you posted plug and play? I thought maybe they had to be more specific for that. I am still surprised someone makes a plug and play unit.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Doug, I think what you found would still need a remote start unit added. It is kinda confusing as they are not super descriptive on what is needed.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may need a remote start unit. as you say its very sketchy.
Your probably right.

The install manual shows it to be a very easy install for most vehicles.
06 showed to be a one wire hookup..

Ive wondered for years why there are not PNP kits for alarms, remote start, bose amp replacement, etc.
Seems like there is ALOT of $$$ laying on the table.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yates ™

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may need a remote start unit. as you say its very sketchy.
Your probably right.

The install manual shows it to be a very easy instal for most vehicals.
06 showed to be a one wire hookup..

I need something for my other vehicles but they are too old :(

OP
OP
yates ™

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a midget with cellphone and backup key in the glove box..
Just call when you want vehicle started.. Problem solved.

Lol I wish. It sucks in the winter here with out remote start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01