Question Regarding Diff Fluid Change..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oak510_tahoe

Urban Assault
Reaction score
I was planning on changing my rear diff oil to RP. However is there some sort of additive I have to use? or can I use the RP 75/90 fluid on its own? Did a search and wasn't quite clear on that, Thanks.

FYI: this is for a 05 4x4 Tahoe.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RP = Royal Purple?

BOSS

OP
OP
oak510_tahoe

oak510_tahoe

Urban Assault
Reaction score
yeah, I ended up just doing the rear diff for now with Royal Purple; dam thing took 3.5 qts! Didn't expect it to be that much. Truck seems to be a bit smoother, but it could all just be in my head; I also did an oil change at the same time; so maybe a combo of the two. Planning on doing the Transmission soon too, switching it to RP probably. Just need to work out the issue with the 4 wheel drive not working.

dec322

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing this within the next couple of weeks?

Side question: Did the differential fluid stink? I changed it in my old mustang and got it all over my clothes. I ended up having to throw the clothes away because the smell was all over me.

OP
OP
oak510_tahoe

oak510_tahoe

Urban Assault
Reaction score
yeah the old stuff smelled bad. Not sure if the previous owner even bothered to change the fluid.

Man Van

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gear fluid in general smells like crap. However comparing it to supercharger oil it smells like roses. S/C oil stinks so bad it will stain your skin with the foulest smell for days.

Just a FYI-RP diff fluid will also help keep the temps down. Most failures are due to excessive heat over time.

DESIGN

Reaction score
can anyone walk me through a diff fluid change? Do you have to remove the cover or is there an easier way?

I'm surre if I had bothered to search here or GMFS a little I could come up with something but it just now crossed my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo