Please in the name of all that is right, can we get rid of the triple honk already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DWTahoe, yes, the doors can be closed after I exit the vehicle with the engine running and I do not get the triple honk.

Same here.

We have two other GM vehicles that work the same way as well. Did you try restoring factory default settings? At least that would rule out a setting change.

rattmobbins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add to this...

I'm away from home on a business trip and get a nail in my tire. I do a giggle search for tire shops and pick a nationally recognized chain. I go there and leave them the keys and wait for my vehicle.

The tech pulls my Tahoe into the bay (I'm watching like a hawk--yeah, im that guy) and, guess what? Leaves the keys in the vehicle (as is customary). Know what happens next?

Can you guess?

Wait for it...

Yep, in seven bays about half the mechanics crap themselves as my Tahoe goes HON-HONK--HONK!!!!

Sad but true... Wish it were a separate speaker/driver/piezoelectric whatever and more of a pleasant chime!!

Just had to share.

This had me laughing so hard! Thanks for sharing!!!

WYO-HD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt I love my Yukon Denali.
But if anyone reading this has any pull with GM, would they please put a bug in someone's ear to get rid of the triple honk when exiting the truck with it running? Every other feature can be turned on or off.

It is a shame an $80K SUV needs to sound like a '90's Ford Explorer locking the doors' every time I exit it with the engine running.

The informative horn honk is way underclass for such a nice vehicle.

Any luck finding a fix for this? Mine does the same...I agree, it is annoying. My wife's XTS does the exact opposite, honks at you if you leave the fob in the vehicle.

Cheers,

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. I could not find a way to turn it off.
For now I either leave the drivers door hang open when I jump out or leave the keys on the center console.

It's either that or turn it off every single time I need to jump out of the truck.

Tinker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 15 Yukon XL SLT - no option to turn it off. I have a '16 Yukon XL SLT now and it has the options in the menu to turn it off. Perhaps the 15's can have the system updated to the same on the 16's to enable this option... not sure. It is very nice to not have this obnoxious honking now.
Another note - that the system is MUCH faster on the 16 than the 15. The 15 was always slow and seemed to be under powered. The 16 is MUCH faster.

Shawn Cranford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2017 Yukon XL Denali and my wife's 2017 Escalade both do this. My 2016 Suburban LTZ did not. It's horribly annoying and startles me every single time.

Tyler424

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay so i have not read through all of these posts, so sorry if this has been stated previously. But there IS a way to turn off the "Remote Left in Vehicle (Triple Chime)" and "Engine Still Running"

With the vehicle running go to settings --> Vehicle --> Remote Lock, Unlock, Start --> Remote Left in Vehicle Alert (at the bottom) --> Turn off.

This will turn off both alarm chimes. Hope this helps and works for everyone. I have only tried this on a Tahoe but it should be available to everyone with newer infotainment systems across all brands.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^I'll have to check if my 2015i has this option and if it works. I've explored the menus pretty well looking for the solution but I suppose it's worth yet another try to get rid of that annoyance.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense bud, but you truly don't know what we are talking about. Perhaps your truck is different. There is a triple honk that does alert you if the key is left inside the truck after it is turned off and you step out. That can be turned off and mine is.
My truck, and others, honk if you step out of the truck and close the door while it is running with the key in your pocket.
And conversely, if you start the vehicle and exit it with the key fob inside the truck it will not honk. How would it exactly know you exited the vehicle? Just because you opened the door? The truck is still running and the key is inside...
Just an observation, I probably can tell you exited by the seat sensor. It picks up weight, like the passenger side airbag in the NNBS tahoes.