Please in the name of all that is right, can we get rid of the triple honk already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add to this...

I'm away from home on a business trip and get a nail in my tire. I do a giggle search for tire shops and pick a nationally recognized chain. I go there and leave them the keys and wait for my vehicle.

The tech pulls my Tahoe into the bay (I'm watching like a hawk--yeah, im that guy) and, guess what? Leaves the keys in the vehicle (as is customary). Know what happens next?

Can you guess?

Wait for it...

Yep, in seven bays about half the mechanics crap themselves as my Tahoe goes HON-HONK--HONK!!!!

Sad but true... Wish it were a separate speaker/driver/piezoelectric whatever and more of a pleasant chime!!

Just had to share.
The thing that gets me is you never hear a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Range Rover...do this.
To me, it's just cheap sounding and annoying.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing that gets me is you never hear a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Range Rover...do this.
To me, it's just cheap sounding and annoying.

Maybe they don't have keyless entry?

Just kidding! Maybe it's a clientele difference? Gm and Ford think we're stupid...?

But I agree 100%. On a $60k+ vehicle, we need a little more class! Or a tranquilizer for our nerves!

Denada

Reaction score
Mine doesn't triple honk if the keys are in your pocket and you get out. It does chime once you get back in though (key not detected). I have passive locking off, have any of you checked if this could be the culprit? The options are: Off, On with Horn Chirp, or On.

Not sure if there are any Arduino or Raspberry Pi enthusiasts on this board but pretty sure you could build something that sits between the horn and the horn power leads. You could easily write code to monitor the power levels and pass everything through EXCEPT when it senses a series of 3 quick spikes. I mean if it is something that really annoys a lot of people in this thread I could explore creating the device. Does it annoy you enough to pay $100 to get rid of the feature?

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't triple honk if the keys are in your pocket and you get out. It does chime once you get back in though (key not detected). I have passive locking off, have any of you checked if this could be the culprit? The options are: Off, On with Horn Chirp, or On.

Not sure if there are any Arduino or Raspberry Pi enthusiasts on this board but pretty sure you could build something that sits between the horn and the horn power leads. You could easily write code to monitor the power levels and pass everything through EXCEPT when it senses a series of 3 quick spikes. I mean if it is something that really annoys a lot of people in this thread I could explore creating the device. Does it annoy you enough to pay $100 to get rid of the feature?

I have passive locking turned off as well.

You could program a Pi to block the signal--or even more special use it as a trigger and pass it through as a chime to a small waterproof speaker located somewhere up front. Then you would have something!

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the passive locking off on mine originally. I believe it is off from factory.
I turned it on because I like having it lock automatically as I walk away.

Weird that yours doesn't triple honk Denada. I have turned every feature on and off, and there is no way to eliminate it on my truck.

Demer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Yukon Xl Denali acts the same way as Denada's.

I can get in, start the car with the push button, get out with the engine still running, walk away, and no triple honk.

The only time I get a triple honk is if I turn off the car and exit the vehicle with the key fob still inside.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Yukon Xl Denali acts the same way as Denada's.

I can get in, start the car with the push button, get out with the engine still running, walk away, and no triple honk.

The only time I get a triple honk is if I turn off the car and exit the vehicle with the key fob still inside.

Same here with '16 suburban z71.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you closing the door after you get out with the fob in your pocket? I'm just checking since you didn't mention it specific. If I leave the door open it doesn't triple honk until the door is closed and the fob is outside.

I guess this could also be a difference between the '15s and '16s....

Sorry i didn't figure out how to quote...I was asking "Demer" and "NYisles"

Demer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you closing the door after you get out with the fob in your pocket? I'm just checking since you didn't mention it specific. If I leave the door open it doesn't triple honk until the door is closed and the fob is outside.

I guess this could also be a difference between the '15s and '16s....

Sorry i didn't figure out how to quote...I was asking "Demer" and "NYisles"

DWTahoe, yes, the doors can be closed after I exit the vehicle with the engine running and I do not get the triple honk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63