Please help!! Distributor problems..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96tsport

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got a tough one..my 96 tahoe sport (5.7 vortec) lost spark going down the road (coil died)..since then i have pulled distributor as it needed changed anyway and now i can not get truck to run, can get it to pop a little depending on dis postion..have spark and i am getting fuel. Bought new coil pack changed distributor and cap/rotor. Did not have marks when uninstalled so i have to start over.. I put #1 at tdc of compression stroke (marks on balancer& timing cover also) and aligned the 8 of dis body with rotor, plugs and wires are good and installed correctly, and i still can not get her to fire. Please help any suggestions are greatly appreciated been fighting with it for a while now. Also when the truck died going down the road it didnt back fire or do anything out of ordinary just died. i believe crank sensor is working. I think it was p1345 code (cam to crank correlation code) active for a while before it died which was one of reasons for pulling dis

Last edited:

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
The quick and dirty answer is that you'll need a professional tool to set the timing - timing has to be within +/-2* for the computer to control things.

As you stated, when you install a distributor you have to get the #1 cylinder at TDC then match the distributor pointer/rotor with the #1 position. Then you'll have to rotate the distributor housing to get within the +/-2* window before locking it down.

The P1345 code is basically saying you're camshaft is out of sync with your crankshaft. This is the part where the professional tool comes into play.

OP
OP

96tsport

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a scan tool capable of reading spark advance however right now i cant even get her to pop so i think there is a bad part some where still

OP
OP

96tsport

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a broken ground strap on passenger side near firewall..its bolted up higher on f/w not sure where the other end goes maybe down by starter? Anyone have info on this?

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Playing devils advocate, are you sure you are not 180 deg out?

muldoon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You do not need a scanner or pay a shop to set the final timing. All it takes is a little time and patience. Once the truck is running, and it

muldoon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Once the truck is running, you do not need a sophisticated scan tool or pay a shop for their labor to set the final timing. All you need is some time and patience and a few simple items. First, make a pointer that will run from the distributor to the firewall. I used a yardstick. Put some masking tape on the firewall where the yardstick placement can be marked. Attach the stick to a flat spot on the distributor so the placement can be easily replicated. See where the pointer lands on the tape and make a mark. Clear the code P1345, move the stick about 1/8 inch in either direction and start the truck. What you are trying to do is rotate the distributor to a point where the code no longer is shown. Continue this process. If the engine starts running rougher, move the distributor in the other direction. This procedure took me about a half an hour. When it finally got to the point where no code is thrown, I tightened the distributor and ran the truck for another 60,000 miles.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a broken ground strap on passenger side near firewall..its bolted up higher on f/w not sure where the other end goes maybe down by starter? Anyone have info on this?

This is a 1998 350, the only ground strap on the passenger firewall is below the heater lines. It connects to the frame and has a second strap underneath the same bolt.

D3F3D1BD-E7DC-4895-8AAD-29365CBF489E_zpszulrff8j.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

96tsport

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a 1998 350, the only ground strap on the passenger firewall is below the heater lines. It connects to the frame and has a second strap underneath the same bolt.

D3F3D1BD-E7DC-4895-8AAD-29365CBF489E_zpszulrff8j.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes thats the one i am talking about..i see it bolted to the frame but do u know where the opposite end is going?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17