Plasti Dippin' my rims tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jay R Lawson

Reaction score
Thank you sir. I tested my technique on the hub cap. And am happy with the results

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...you got my curiosity...when i first bought my rig I picked up some gmc wheels and had them matte black powder coated, that was about 200k miles ago, they still look decent but are starting to show wear and some chips...

So I'd love to see more or hear more on what you did please

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Ok...you got my curiosity...when i first bought my rig I picked up some gmc wheels and had them matte black powder coated, that was about 200k miles ago, they still look decent but are starting to show wear and some chips...

Powder coating should not be chipping , ever.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

All I did was clean the rims, made sure I removed any loose debris and sprayed the dip on. That's it. I know some guys use the playing card trick to keep the dip off the tire, but I used one of those plastic plates that dealers put on that has their name on it. Nice and flexible, and much bigger. And if any dip does get on the tire, it just rubs right off.

OP
OP
J

Jay R Lawson

Reaction score
I'll take some before and after pics an so post them. I'm also looking at some cheap 22's today. Plan on doing the same to them

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport and it has lasted 2 years and many car washes... I didn't bother with any tape or cards to stop spray on the tire. You are spraying a black rubber product on a black rubber tire. What little over spay you get will rub right off or will come off by itself after a day or two of normal driving or a car wash... Wait a week or two for it to cure before washing and always ask the people not to hit it hard with the power washer. Thats the only downside to Plastidip vs Powder coating but the price difference speaks for itself. A properly done powder coated wheel should NEVER chip or scratch unless you actually curb your wheel or hit something damn hard and even then the wheel should bend as well.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I did this on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport and it has lasted 2 years and many car washes... I didn't bother with any tape or cards to stop spray on the tire. You are spraying a black rubber product on a black rubber tire. What little over spay you get will rub right off or will come off by itself after a day or two of normal driving or a car wash... Wait a week or two for it to cure before washing and always ask the people not to hit it hard with the power washer. Thats the only downside to Plastidip vs Powder coating but the price difference speaks for itself. A properly done powder coated wheel should NEVER chip or scratch unless you actually curb your wheel or hit something damn hard and even then the wheel should bend as well.
Once the dip is cured, you can actually hit it with a power washer without it peeling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent

Latest posts