Pilot's '02 4x4 Tahoe build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an '02 5.3 LT 4x4 Tahoe about a week ago for $2,900. Here's my intro thread with pics of the truck as I bought it.

Spent over two hours today with Brett at The Custom Shop in Queens. We ordered:
I was looking at a couple of different companies for the seat covers. After watching this comparison video I pulled the trigger with The Seat Shop pretty quickly.

The seat covers and bumpers are made to order so the lead time is 2-3 weeks on those. I'm hoping everything else will be delivered toward the end of next week (1/12/2018) so we can get this build started!

Meanwhile, here's a cheesy video of my Tahoe in the snow in Brooklyn.

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put in my new Weathertech mats. They're OK–they don't really lie flat. The front mats aren't too bad but the second row mat may be a problem (see pics). I'm a little disappointed. For over $300 I expect them to be pretty stellar.

I would have preferred Husky Liners, but they don't make X-ACT Contour mats for the second generation Tahoe. Does anyone have experience with the Husky Liner Heavy Duty floor mats? They aren't custom cut for the Tahoe, but I still may like them better than the Weathertech mats. At least in the second row.

I also bought a cargo mat for the rear but it has not arrived yet.

Some pics: it took me exactly 2 seconds to get the mat dirty–no way around it. The truck is parked on the street in a pile of snow and slush. I wasn't able to take a picture of the passenger side because I'm parked up against a snow bank. If anyone wants to see that, let me know and I'll snap some pics when I move the truck.

IMG_3095.JPG IMG_3096.JPG IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG IMG_3094.JPG

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Subd for the updates:D. There's a thread on here about which liners fit the best and what guys prefer. I'm sure you can find it if you hit the search button. How bad are your seats and cushions? Have a pic of what the new bumper looks like?

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subd for the updates:D. There's a thread on here about which liners fit the best and what guys prefer. I'm sure you can find it if you hit the search button. How bad are your seats and cushions? Have a pic of what the new bumper looks like?

The driver's side seat cover is pretty rough. Passenger side isn't too bad (see pics), but I'm replacing both because 1) the lack of symmetry of a new one only on one side would drive me crazy (especially if the color match isn't perfect) and 2) I'd feel bad sitting on a plush new seat while my wife had to sit on the crumby old one. Regarding the cushions, they don't seem horrible but as long as we're going to have the seats out and the covers off, might as well replace them while we're at it.

The bumper has been ordered but they make those to order, so it's going to be 2-3 weeks before it arrives. I'll get pictures up on this thread as soon as it does.

DRIVER'S SIDE

IMG_3102.JPG IMG_3105.JPG IMG_3113.JPG

PASSENGER SIDE
IMG_3108.JPG IMG_3107.JPG

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The driver's side seat cover is pretty rough. Passenger side isn't too bad (see pics), but I'm replacing both because 1) the lack of symmetry of a new one only on one side would drive me crazy (especially if the color match isn't perfect) and 2) I'd feel bad sitting on a plush new seat while my wife had to sit on the crumby old one. Regarding the cushions, they don't seem horrible but as long as we're going to have the seats out and the covers off, might as well replace them while we're at it.

The bumper has been ordered but they make those to order, so it's going to be 2-3 weeks before it arrives. I'll get pictures up on this thread as soon as it does.

DRIVER'S SIDE

View attachment 190161 View attachment 190159 View attachment 190160

PASSENGER SIDE
View attachment 190163 View attachment 190162
Yeah, pretty bad, and I agree about the cushions. Might as well while you have it apart. Did you get the uppers Too? I see places selling lowers all the time, but not any that sells just the uppers. The top covers crack mostly from the leather not being conditioned. I'm sure your driver pulldown armrest must be cracked to hell too. I'e seem those covers for sale on eBay. Very reasonably priced too. Those pieces are completely vinyl.

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty bad, and I agree about the cushions. Might as well while you have it apart. Did you get the uppers Too? I see places selling lowers all the time, but not any that sells just the uppers. The top covers crack mostly from the leather not being conditioned. I'm sure your driver pulldown armrest must be cracked to hell too. I'e seem those covers for sale on eBay. Very reasonably priced too. Those pieces are completely vinyl.

Yep. Ordered lower covers, upper covers, armrest covers and lower cushions for both sides. Everything except upper cushions and headrest covers. TheSeatShop.com has upper covers, lower covers, arm rest covers and the driver's side seat cushion. Oddly, I could not find any seat shop who had the passenger side cushion. I had to order that from GM–here's a link: https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-parts/gm-seat-cushion-pad-12473282/?c=aT1HQTAwOTg1NSZyPWxheWVyXzM

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yep. Ordered lower covers, upper covers, armrest covers and lower cushions for both sides. Everything except upper cushions and headrest covers. TheSeatShop.com has upper covers, lower covers, arm rest covers and the driver's side seat cushion. Oddly, I could not find any seat shop who had the passenger side cushion. I had to order that from GM–here's a link: https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-parts/gm-seat-cushion-pad-12473282/?c=aT1HQTAwOTg1NSZyPWxheWVyXzM
I wonder how different the actual foam is from side to side.