Permanently unlock GM radios for free DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmatt16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i recently got an 04 sierra, when i bought it it didn't have a radio. Rather than buying a new one i wanted to just throw the factory one from my Tahoe in but the vin lock prevented that so i found out a permanent fix that only takes a few minutes.

Step 1:Remove the cover on the bottom of the radio. Remove the screws (if any) then pry the plate off with a flat tip, it doesn't take much force. 20171127_185223.jpg

Step 2:Remove Tape deck or whatever is covering the board.
20171127_185252.jpg

Step 3:Locate the black chip (pictured) The two ive seen start with a nine and are approximately 7 numbers long.
20171127_185623.jpg

Step 4:Remove the chip, I used some needle nose pliers and wiggled it back and forth til the joints broke, it worked fine for the two ive done. You can be more professional and careful but it didn't matter to me.
20171127_185542.jpg

Step 5:Reassemble and plug it in.

20171127_185138.jpg When you start the vehicle you will get a message on it that says calibration error, hit the power button and your good to go. This should work for all the 00-06 GM radios, i did it with the tape deck and CD player one and the 6 disk changer one and they both work.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
So i recently got an 04 sierra, when i bought it it didn't have a radio. Rather than buying a new one i wanted to just throw the factory one from my Tahoe in but the vin lock prevented that so i found out a permanent fix that only takes a few minutes.

Step 1:Remove the cover on the bottom of the radio. Remove the screws (if any) then pry the plate off with a flat tip, it doesn't take much force. View attachment 187656

Step 2:Remove Tape deck or whatever is covering the board.
View attachment 187657

Step 3:Locate the black chip (pictured) The two ive seen start with a nine and are approximately 7 numbers long.
View attachment 187660

Step 4:Remove the chip, I used some needle nose pliers and wiggled it back and forth til the joints broke, it worked fine for the two ive done. You can be more professional and careful but it didn't matter to me.
View attachment 187658

Step 5:Reassemble and plug it in.

View attachment 187655 When you start the vehicle you will get a message on it that says calibration error, hit the power button and your good to go. This should work for all the 00-06 GM radios, i did it with the tape deck and CD player one and the 6 disk changer one and they both work.
I found the youtube video for this. Works great. Wish i would've found it years ago.

Last edited:

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What an innovative fix! All of a sudden all those old radios out there have some value!
Thank you!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
be careful if you do this, this fix has been around for a good while but there are some units that will loose some functions or wont work properly if you remove that chip, I would recommend reading up on it first is all.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sell cars and this will come in handy. I don't care about functionality as long as the radio locks on the stations. The customers can figure out the rest of the stuff lol most go to an aftermarket radio anyway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts