Passenger side dash metallic tapping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a noise directly in front of the passenger dash more near the firewall. It sounds like a dangling wire hitting a panel of shear metal. It's quite loud when driving seems to only make noise going over bumps. I have ruled out suspension and wheel brakes as a cause. I put my ear up in that area of the dash closest to the firewall. It sounds like maybe the antenna or some other heavy gauge wire may be loose.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the Heat shield on your passenger side catalytic converter is a good place to start looking. The welds begin to come lose over time and sounds horrible.

Sometimes you can raise the idle of the engine to approx 1500-2000 rpm and you'll get it to rattle which will be a dead give away that it's a cat's heat shield.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it back to the body shop. They found the front quarter panel cracked in a few places.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts