Passenger front carpet wet - GMT900 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While installing my AMP steps I noticed the carpet was wet on the passenger side.

I gave the sunroof and door seals a good once over and nothing seemed terribly out of place, so I dried it out and let it be for the time being.

We just had a few good days of rain and it's wet again. Which means it's time to take it a step further.

Wondering if there are any known/common causes for these vehicles? For instance Jeep Commanders are notorious for the sun roof drains clogging, so that's the #1 thing to check before wasting time looking elsewhere.

Appreciate any feedback before starting my hunt for where the waters coming from. Thanks!

OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Any specifics on how to access? The jeeps we had to pull down the headliner to access the rear drain. I would do the same for the front drain and shoot air through the line in case it was clogged lower in the system

OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I did some searching and found some different causes. It's not easy to tell which are model year specific.

I guess my point was, I know there are multiple possible culprits, but for those who have been on the forums for years have you seen one been the prominent factor for the 900s? Just like on the jeep forum that I spend a lot of time on, there have been door seal, windshield, etc issues, but 99% of the time it came down to the sunroof drain.

If the sunroof drain is also an issue for these trucks, I'll start there. Appreciate the help

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a quick update. Poured a gallon of water into the sunroof and it seemed to drain quick & immediately down the firewall where it's supposed to exit. I then ran the hose on the windshield down below the wipers (another typical culprit under the plastic cover). Didn't see much of anything show up, with or without door closed.

Then I put the hose on the roof and ran it with the door closed. After a whIle I noticed a little but of moisture in the corner where the seal look like it's cracked

20170509_172255-1.jpg

Still not sure of point of entry from the exterior, but hopefully I'm heading in the right direction. Might try throwing some caulk in the corner for good measure. The carpet/sound proof layer probably had a capillary effect once moisture penetrated.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're on the right track, notice anything around windshield on that side... water takes the path of least resistance. Do you have a shark fin up top, those gaskets crack and maybe it leaking there, also there are 2 drains in sunroof on on each corner that empty to wheel well i think i read somewhere....just ideas for you bud

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would've been on the sunroof drain gang but you've obviously proved that isn't it. Man, this kind of problem keeps me up at night. Can't stand leaks and squeaks. Good luck with the search and let us know what you find. I've heard about windshield seal issues but that's justa guess at this time.

OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Next step I think I'll pull the fender liner and wiper cover off, try to see which path leads to that general area and look for a similar crack on the exterior.

I was hoping I has an easy one, but looks like I won the "unique issue" award this go around

OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well quick update... looks like that wasn't the only place water was getting in :mad:

Good bit of rain today and the floor was soaked again. I soaked it all up and went searching but couldn't find a clear "entry" point. So I used one of those water wicking shammies, bundled it up in the corner where I thought it could be coming and ran the hose on the passenger side for a while.

The shammy was dry but I still had water pooled near the seal, also noticed that the bottom of my door panel had a drip or two.

2017-05-22 18.37.00.jpg

So i start inspecting the door seal and when I peel it off the rear pillar, i notice water beaded up on the inside...

2017-05-22 18.44.24.jpg

Then this catches my eye.....

2017-05-22 18.45.34.jpg

2017-05-22 18.51.12.jpg

So at least I know i'm looking in the right spot now :eek:

I'm guessing sunroof issue or possible need to seal the roof rack rail. The roof rack mounts directly above that. It was dinner time so I put a towel at the bottom to collect water that drips tonight and figured i'd do some more pointed searching, then tackle it after work tomorrow.

Edit: took a another stab at it last night but can't really get to the rear sunroof drain without pulling down headliner. I'm going to try re-sealing the roof rack tonight since that'll be quick and see if that works.

Last edited: