Part # for rear shock clips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warndogg

Reaction score
Dose anyone know the part # for the clips that hold the upper bolts on the rear shocks (96 2 door hoe). I installed the pass side ok but cant get the bolts started on the drivers side. I took the clips out and can't get the bolt to start by hand either. Seems like clips are stripped and thought I would check here before I run over to a parts store.

njJohn

Reaction score
Auto part stores usually have them. Maybe on a Help card. Also called speed clips or nuts.

OP
OP
warndogg

warndogg

Reaction score
Yeah thanks Ima just take the original one in and match it up thanks for the help guys.

OP
OP
warndogg

warndogg

Reaction score
you did not have bolts washers and nuts on both shock mounts?

All parts were there. The u nuts that hold the 2 bolts on the top of the rear shock were stripped. I have now been to 3 auto parts stores and a hardware store looking for a replacement. Tommarow Im headed to a Fastenal to see if they got what I need. What a nightmare replacing one rear shock has been. Here is what I need to replace.

145127261345594875616.jpg

iceworm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning all. I'm back. Moved, sold a hous, bought a house. Still got the hoe. Still running fine - not spectacular, but fine. Still planning on keeping it.

I tagged on to this thread cause it is exactly what I've run into.

Changing shocks today. Fronts went well. Took about two hours.

Working on the first back one. One top bolt came out okay. Second top bolt loosened up then the clip turned loose.

I pulled the tire and can reach up over the frame and feel the clip - barely enough space to get my hand in there.

Qs
1. How do you get the bolt out? I might be able to get on the clip with needle nose vise grips - and maybe not. I'll try this first.

2. Did anyone find a source for new clips?

3. Any tricks to replacing the clips?

4. I'm seriously thinking of boring a hole in the bed to access the clips, fill with rubber plug when done. Hopefully there is a better way.

I absolutely appreciate any help. I'm hoping to get this finished today.

Ice

OP
OP
warndogg

warndogg

Reaction score
I never found an exact match. Had to go with a nut/clip that rubbed the shock. I can tell you, you will need an 18 inch socket extension to get the bolts out. The nuts/clips go in pretty easy with some patience. You definitely want to bolt the top of the shock first when installing new.

iceworm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a long enough extension to reach the bolts. That's not the issue. One bolt came out, the second loosened up, then the clip spun. Bolt will not turn out of the clip cause the clip is turning with the bolt.

Here is what I need to do:
1. Get the bolt out.

2. Get the old clip out. Likely not much of an issue - It will likely fall out.

3. Buy a new clip. Get the new clip installed.

I'm thinking this has happened before an hopefully someone has some hints.

Carl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout