Parking Brake not working correctly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
00'BlueSteel

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get it apart and then verify the cable is engaging if that is good then simply adjust the one side as needed

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I am going to pull it apart Saturday and just see what’s going on. Prob get the neighbor to help push the pedal so I can watch what’s happening inside the drum once I get it open. For now I got the one side grabbing enough it holds as long as where I am parking isn’t too steep. I’ll report back what I find for future peeps.

OP
OP
00'BlueSteel

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reporting back: Pulled everything apart this past weekend, the passenger side actuator lever was the wrong one. It will not stay seated in the actuator it rotates on the pill and gets stuck in place causing the parking brake to jam open. Which is fine cause I can still drive, I am just having to park on the tranmission pin instead of using the parking brake. Which I hate doing. Once I knew what was wrong I called my pops to ask if he messed with my parking brakes when my truck was at his house for the winter, that’s where we put the lift on, turns out he replaced both sides with a Raybesto kit, he said it didn’t come with new actuator levers, he noticed they were different but figured they had always been like that so he left it alone. Turns out its not suppose to be like that and we aren’t sure how it ever got like that.

Anyway I got an AC Delco parking brake kit last night from Amazon and it has matching actuator levers, new actuator rebuilt kits, and everything else need to do a full rebuild. So I will be rebuilding the parking brakes this weekend if the weather holds up, and we will see then how my cables look with new stuff and go from there. I will post up photos and stuff afterwards.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That video is sadly outdated. There is an updated hardware kit to eliminate rattling and shifting of the parking brake shoe onto the drum causing premature wear and eventual parking brake failure.
I have not found any useful info on the new procedure on the new hardware.
I have the kit here but couldn't figure out where the parts go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts