PARKING BRAKE LIGHT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIKE 58

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I HAVE A 2000 YUKON AND THE PARKING BRAKE LIGHT STAYS ON. I HAVE INSTALLED NEW PARKING BRAKE SHOES, THE SWITCH AND EVEN THE GAUGE CLUSTER. WHEN I SET THE PARKING BRAKE THE LIGHT FLASHES BUT WHEN I RELEASE IT THE LIGHT STAYS ON, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean the brake light? I don't think there's a separate parking brake light correct? You probably have a problem with your brakes period, not necessarily your parking brake.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yellow ABS light or red BRAKE light?

I'm assuming you mean the red BRAKE light since you're mentioning your parking brake in association with it. That being said, which switch did you replace? Again, I'm going to assume you replaced the parking brake switch. So, I would then check your brake fluid level switch. Unplug the connector from the resivior and check resistance or unplug and check for a change, if nothing, jump the wires on the harness side to complete the circuit and see if the light goes off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MIKE 58

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sorry i`m so long responding, been away on work. yes, the red brake light on the dash. The fluid level is good and I shorted the wires to the fluid low indicator switch and the light stays on. I have good brakes, its still has me stumped.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I would try doing the same with the parking brake switch since testing the brake fluid level sensor had no effect.

OP
OP
M

MIKE 58

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I shorted the switch wires and even changed out the parking brake switch and it still stays on. When I engage the parking brake the light flashes and when I release it the light goes back to solid.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said earlier it might not be your parking brake circuit. The brake light comes on if there's something wrong with the brakes OR the parking brake is on. If there's a problem with the ABS then the ABS light stays on. I know you said your brakes work fine but I think it's trying to tell you something is wrong with them. A shop with a Tech2 should be able to check them, and most places will check your brakes for free.

OP
OP
M

MIKE 58

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank to all for your input, you at least give me things to check. I think its time to take it to a shop, again thank you for your ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288