Paint help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LanceD

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I tried a little spot with the heat gun and plastic scraper. I can't tell if it was lightly sanded before painting or if I scratched it with the scraper. I guess either way I'll have to wet sand and buff later.

OP
OP
LanceD

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought it was going ok with the heat gun...

20180219_111446.jpg

I guess I got it too hot... Oops

20180219_151119.jpg

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LanceD Damn bro, what's your expected timeframe on getting the truck on the road? That work looks ridiculously tedious. :(

OP
OP
LanceD

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LanceD Damn bro, what's your expected timeframe on getting the truck on the road? That work looks ridiculously tedious. :(

I’m currently driving it. I was planning on chiseling a little each weekend but now I’ll have to take it to a paint shop eventually

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m currently driving it. I was planning on chiseling a little each weekend but now I’ll have to take it to a paint shop eventually

I hear you bud, might as well just start saving to have it repainted grey.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that seriously is some tedious work.
If you're planning on getting it repainted, try some of that paint remover I had brought up. Might be able to get that top layer off with minimal damage to the OE paint/clear.

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that seriously is some tedious work.
If you're planning on getting it repainted, try some of that paint remover I had brought up. Might be able to get that top layer off with minimal damage to the OE paint/clear.

@992dr wouldn't the body shop repainting the car for him be able to strip off that layer of paint with something way more aggressive prior to painting?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@992dr wouldn't the body shop repainting the car for him be able to strip off that layer of paint with something way more aggressive prior to painting?

I would say so.
That was more or less for sh*ts and giggles to see what the outcome would be. Being curious myself doesn't help any haha.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, you would want to remove all the black, because you don't know how well it adheres to the factory paint.

I agree.

I'd like to experiment with it to see the outcome. Pull out the da polisher and go to town. That's just me though :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts