P1516. Reduced engine power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdoa

Reaction score
I've had this code for about a year. I can clear it and it will be back in a couple days. And maybe 3 times in the past year it went into reduced engine power. I've been reading up that this code could be a bunch of issues. Truck has 220k. Where would you start? I gave the throttle position sensor the wiggle test and everything looks fine.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In order to properly diagnose a tps or app sensor you need to get you hands on a top end scan tool or better yet a pico to graph your sensor readings.

OP
OP
T

Tdoa

Reaction score
No other codes that I know. I have a scan gauge 2 that I use to read code. It shifts hard into second gear under light throttle. But it's pretty much done that since I bought the truck 3 years ago.

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this about three months ago a few times. Changed the throttle body and it's ran fine ever since. I got the Hitachi throttle body.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the usual culprit is the throttle body, does it do anything weird like choke out or basically run like crap when this happens, even briefly?

OP
OP
T

Tdoa

Reaction score
Yes it will run a little rough when it goes into limp mode. But I shut it down for a second start back up and it's good to go for months.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Possible causes Faulty Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module harness is open or shorted Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module circuit poor electrical connection Check Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module connector for water Binding or bent throttle plate-failed throttle body

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p1516_chevrolet.html

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P1516 is a throttle ACTUAL position/throttle DESIRED position correlation failure or a tps1 tps2 correlation invalid code. Leaning towards the age of the vehicle I would HIGHLY recommend graphing the tps. I can not condemn the sensor due to the fact I can’t test it but would 100% START there if I were you.

The tps will also, if skewed, cause harsh shifting considering the tps is a key input to the TCM when controlling shift points.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P1516 is a throttle ACTUAL position/throttle DESIRED position correlation failure or a tps1 tps2 correlation invalid code. Leaning towards the age of the vehicle I would HIGHLY recommend graphing the tps. I can not condemn the sensor due to the fact I can’t test it but would 100% START there if I were you.

The tps will also, if skewed, cause harsh shifting considering the tps is a key input to the TCM when controlling shift points.
I second this. The symptom and code smells of a dead/open spot on the TPS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos