P0230 and now P0175 codes '09 5.3 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did find the fuel pump control module over the spare tire was connected only by wires and sitting on the frame members there. I didn't have time to figure out how it should be mounted so I tied it down hard with a few zip ties. I hope it doesn't rely on its chassis for ground.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm. I'm starting to chase a fuel system code and realize I need some more updates in this story.

Problems multiplied and suddenly all my engine oil started disappearing. I decided it was the AFM failure that's so common. Having run my engine without oil a couple times I opted to get a junkyard engine and prep it to drop in. Of course I located a 6.2 aluminum engine.

I intended to leave AFM working but was convinced that would bite me later so I called Texas Speed and got a full AFM delete kit with a LS9 cam and installed that in the engine.

I got the new engine in and had more problems. Finally I dropped the Y pipe out and found both upstream cats were a combination of blocked and collapsed completely blocking my exhaust at the downstream cat. That wsss blowing back past the rings and pushing the oil into the intake. I didn't need to replace my engine.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So all this time later I got some hints from someone on a different type of forum that were very specific about the P0230 code. He told me the wiring harness was most likely abraded and shorting to the fuel pump/controller and was specific enough to say near the rear of the trans.

A friend popped my Tahoe up on his lift and I walked under it. Found the short in less than 30 seconds even being a little distracted getting there.

Tahoe Short.jpg

Sure enough the wiring harness had come off a clip and was rubbing against the rear of the front driveshaft right at the U-Joint. I taped the wire which was naked in one spot but not broken at all, taped the harness, put the loom back over it and taped that, then put two cable ties on it to keep it away.

I've driven a couple hundred miles and not only am I not getting the code any more the truck seems to be running better and stronger. Heck I'm even getting better fuel economy.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So all this time later I got some hints from someone on a different type of forum that were very specific about the P0230 code. He told me the wiring harness was most likely abraded and shorting to the fuel pump/controller and was specific enough to say near the rear of the trans.

A friend popped my Tahoe up on his lift and I walked under it. Found the short in less than 30 seconds even being a little distracted getting there.

View attachment 304815

Sure enough the wiring harness had come off a clip and was rubbing against the rear of the front driveshaft right at the U-Joint. I taped the wire which was naked in one spot but not broken at all, taped the harness, put the loom back over it and taped that, then put two cable ties on it to keep it away.

I've driven a couple hundred miles and not only am I not getting the code any more the truck seems to be running better and stronger. Heck I'm even getting better fuel economy.
When you see a TSB at a dealership, that has come from an odd problem and what was done to find and correct the problem and the techs look first for a TSB and use that shortcut wherever they can. Wire rub throughs are rare but yes, they do happen. Glad you found a guy who has seen this scenario before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mazer16