Over head console swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if there is a trick to swapping in an overhead console on the obs suburban tahoe. I have rear heat and ac and so did the donor burb, but i cant remember if the headliner was different. Currently i just have the rear hvac controls and then a dome light over the shoulders. Cant really find a write up or anything on this. Im assuming the wiring will all be the same or should already be there. Has anyone done this that could give some pointers. I dont have the headliner from the donor vehicle as it got scrapped 9a473ee92e0f1ec0b6b63cb4c310b848.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I once did an overhead swap on my Trans am. Even tho it didn't come with it all the mounting studs were there. I had to trim out my headliner a little, for mounting purposes, and plug in the dome light and map lights that were built into the console. Most of it was plug and play, but i think i had to splice one wire. Im guessing you'll run into the same deal doing yours. Gm's tooling is all the same. I'd think all your mounting points would be there already. Drop the front of the headliner down some and take a look. I bet everything is already there. One question: are the rear seat hvac controls the same, or did you grab integrated controls with the overhead console?

OP
OP
J

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once did an overhead swap on my Trans am. Even tho it didn't come with it all the mounting studs were there. I had to trim out my headliner a little, for mounting purposes, and plug in the dome light and map lights that were built into the console. Most of it was plug and play, but i think i had to splice one wire. Im guessing you'll run into the same deal doing yours. Gm's tooling is all the same. I'd think all your mounting points would be there already. Drop the front of the headliner down some and take a look. I bet everything is already there. One question: are the rear seat hvac controls the same, or did you grab integrated controls with the overhead console?

The console has the rear heat and ac in it so i think the only thing ill have to do is find the plug for the map lights and add the red led bulbs. Ima go check another pick and pull a fee towns over and see if i can find the headliner or ill see if lmc truck has one just incase. I dont want to cut the headliner yet lol

OP
OP
J

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it figured out.

OP
OP
J

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What'd you come up with?

Well i ended up pulling the headliner down and found the two square holes in the roof bracing that matched the ones in the front. I used a punch to push through the headliner in the center of the holes and then used a razor knife to cut to the edge of the square hole. Then i trimmed the rest out and had exposed the holes for the rear clips of the console to slide in to. The plug for the front map lights was bundled up by the dome light. Plugged everything in and screwed the front in to place. Ima try and find a headliner in the pick and pull that has the provisions cut out already when i find a donor headliner for the drop down dvd install and custom lighting.

37cd5af309122915bfcf03bb922b3087.jpg

Above you can see i only cut the headliner where the clips go in. The factory cut headliner has a area cut out here that is bigger.

115c6a44cf15c2b2610730e631966b3a.jpg

Above you can see that i pulled the wire to the front to plug in to the map lights.

e89bc837e3f11b4a81f9d538111d63a0.jpg

In the above pic you can see the little black bundle of wires that is right in front of where the dome light goes. That is the map light plug.

92bfae4f09c3a982787cfd02be401c4c.jpg

Finished product.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well i ended up pulling the headliner down and found the two square holes in the roof bracing that matched the ones in the front. I used a punch to push through the headliner in the center of the holes and then used a razor knife to cut to the edge of the square hole. Then i trimmed the rest out and had exposed the holes for the rear clips of the console to slide in to. The plug for the front map lights was bundled up by the dome light. Plugged everything in and screwed the front in to place. Ima try and find a headliner in the pick and pull that has the provisions cut out already when i find a donor headliner for the drop down dvd install and custom lighting.

37cd5af309122915bfcf03bb922b3087.jpg

Above you can see i only cut the headliner where the clips go in. The factory cut headliner has a area cut out here that is bigger.

115c6a44cf15c2b2610730e631966b3a.jpg

Above you can see that i pulled the wire to the front to plug in to the map lights.

e89bc837e3f11b4a81f9d538111d63a0.jpg

In the above pic you can see the little black bundle of wires that is right in front of where the dome light goes. That is the map light plug.

92bfae4f09c3a982787cfd02be401c4c.jpg

Finished product.

You did a good job.

OP
OP
J

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did a good job.

Thank you very much. Now if i could just get the guts to tackle some of the mechanical issues myself lol. But its my only vehicle so im nervous to to mess something up and not have a way to work on monday lol